antdickens

Geovision, crashing and when returns the desktop lock doesn'

I am having problems with one of my geovision systems crashing.

The system is a gv650-8. With the 8 channel dsp card and 5 cameras.

The PC is a P4 3.0 with intel chipset and 512mb

Every couple of days the system will crash. No erors in the geo log but if you check in the xp event log there are errors pointing to lsass.exe and avifil32.dll

When the system is restarted the desktop lock will not function and i have to do a system restore to get the thing working. The standard xp desktop is displayed but with a black background.

Shut down is missing from the start menu so i have tom power off. When is comes back on it is usually ok for a while.

Any suggestions?

You might have to send the geovision card back to where you bought it. I know for a fact the geovision had alot of problems with the gv-650. Also do you have all of the cameras hooked up? if not then that might be your problem, you might have to deactivate camera channels you are not using.

I have deactivated the 3 spare ports.

Spoke to supplier and they are sending me replacements top try.

See how that goes!!

avifil32.dll - Used to read AVI files.

lsass.exe - Local Security Authority Service

When you say crash, what exact error are you getting?

What type of Video card do you have, all latest drivers installed?

Is this Windows XP, SP1 or Sp2?

What else is running besides the Geo Software?

Have you turned any windows Services off?

Have you tried a fresh reinstall of windows (reformat and reinstall)?

Have you tried the cards in another PC?

Rory

I am having problems with one of my geovision systems crashing.

The system is a gv650-8. With the 8 channel dsp card and 5 cameras.

The PC is a P4 3.0 with intel chipset and 512mb

Every couple of days the system will crash. No erors in the geo log but if you check in the xp event log there are errors pointing to lsass.exe and avifil32.dll

When the system is restarted the desktop lock will not function and i have to do a system restore to get the thing working. The standard xp desktop is displayed but with a black background.

Shut down is missing from the start menu so i have tom power off. When is comes back on it is usually ok for a while.

Any suggestions?

The errors you are getting are not associated with the Geo board or software, they are system errors in your machine. A few suggestions to optimize the Geo is to not use the Desktop Keylock utility in the Startup menu, it has caused issues in the past. Another is to disable system restore, disable mouse shadowing, disable the recycle bin to store files. All of those processes require system resources and should never need to be used if the system itself is in good working order.

The lsass.exe error is typically a sign that you may have a virus such as Sasser, Trojan worms ect. There are others, but I am not a viral expert.

My recommendation is to reformat and start over with a clean system and see if the problem is still there. You may also want to try repairing XP before you do this and go from there.

scottj

it crashed my PC when i put it on start up so I didnt use it again

There are also a billion windows XP services and default features that should be turned off ...

Do you mean not use the desktop lock utility at all?

Or load it in a diferent way

Just remove it from the Start Up Menu. You can still use it after the system boots if need be. The best way to prevent unauthorized persons from getting into the system is by means of a system password permission created with minimal allowed functions. You can also edit the registry and remove the Ctrl-Alt-Delete function to eliminate reboots that are unwarranted.

scottj