cglaeser

Firetide and vegitation

A neighboring HOA wants to install three IP cameras on an outdoor structure that is about 100 meters from the building that will house the NVR. I can see a clear line-of-site, but there are some branches along the path that almost obscure the path. Does Firetide need a clear line-of-site, or can it maintain transmission if there are a few leaves obstructing the view on a windy day?

Best,

Christopher

Just speculating on this...

I would look at the rated distance (LOS), as well as the power output (wattage probably). Also look at what antennas those things use.

So say the LOS rating is 300m, then I'd say your good to go. Usually the higher the freq. the less it works through things.

Also, the big thing is antennas. Say the rating is 150m LOS. If you hook up a couple nice 2.4GHz Yagis pointed right at each other, it will work perfect. But if they are using those flat ones or dipoles with only some directional gain, or even plain old omnidirectional vertical, I would be worried.

Is doing a directional bore an option, while pulling through pre made fiber. I have had nothing but service issues with wireless including wind changing direction of antennas, interference and vandalism.

I have heard nothing good from Firetide customers. Wireless is not easy to do and can be very intimidating for your first couple of projects. My best advice is to do a site survey and order a demo link to test out at the customers sit BEFORE it is sold.

You'll want to use lower frequencies (2.4Ghz, or 900Mhz), 5.8Ghz is blocked by even slight obstructions in the signal path.

I have had good success with Ubiquiti 2.4Ghz products (I used the NanoStation M2's) penetrating a reasonable amount of foliage, but it will always be best to try it before you commit to the install (nice thing about the Ubiquiti products, you can get a pair of the NanoStation M2's to test for around $160.00 or so!).