Sign in to follow this  
Numb-nuts

Tree Faeries not happy but PTZ seeing much better today

Sorry about the thread title, you probably guessed I used to write on my college newspaper yeasrs ago.

During a recent discussion with other members here one member suggested trees being cut down around the property.

After a bit of thought, I decided to do a bit of tree pruning. I spent most oftoday pruning the lower branches

of the Silver Birch trees around my house. Before I knew it I had lopped off the branches upto a heignt of about 4 meters.

These trees are very tall about 8 meters I would say. The only ones that aren't happy about my pruning are the tree faeries and the drunks that frequent the alley and cause a nuisance, Everytime I see them there I call police so they may soon decide

"it's too much hassle to go in THAT alley, so I'll go somewhere else"

The fact that pruning branches has given me a much better view to zoom in on troublemakers, has pleased me enormously

as it has made my CCTV that much more effective as a tool. The other thing is that the PTZ dome is far more visible from the alley too so I am hoping that will have some deterrent efffect. I cannot place signage in a public alley so making the dome more visible is a good option.

I bought a telescopic tree pruner for £8.00 in Home Bargains store. It works great.

One other thing I have done in tha past is I ordered a substance called Skunk Shot from the USA.

It is an Australian product. It is a foul smelling gel that is a synthetic skunk spray. I usually applied it to

the wall the crims sit on and the the base of the trees in the area they like to frequent. It does work for a day or two

but being in the open air, it does tend to dissipate quicker than it might indoors. I got the idea to do this afte reading an article that the Israeli army used this as a non-lethal way of dispersing crowds. They spray protestors or rioters with a foul smelling liquid that is designed to penetrate skin and last for about eight days. Nobody gets shot, miamed or injured, but offenders have to suffer the indignity of being repellent to all their family and friends for about a week or more after the event. Next time they think twice about risking it. US police also use the Skunkshot to repel vagrants and drug users from derelict buildings.

Here is one such article

Yep trees and bushes can be a CCTV installers worst enemy.

On a current job the new landscapers, as good as they are at what they do, went and stuck a new tree right in front of one of the cameras looking down the driveway! The owner didnt want to move the tree, so we had to move the entire pole the camera was mounted to. Same location, I have cameras I put up 10 years ago where bushes etc never existed, now I can barely reach those cameras. Plus any bush near the front of the cameras cause the Infrared to not work properly. A machete can be your next best friend.

Yes these are things to consider too when siting a camera, the future growth of vegetation.

I am sure you weren't the first nor the last to fail to predict the future growth of trees.

In my rear garden I have a huge tree and want to watch my shed but at night the IR reflects off the tree and the poor old shed is plunged even further into a black hole where the camera can see nothing.

Also when the wind blows, I have to sometimes turn down the sensitivity of the motion sensor or I get hours of tree swaying footage and using up valuable disk space.