chrisframe

General advice needed please

Hi all, I work for a charity and are looking to impliment a cctv system to 16,000 sqft building we have recently purchased.

I was looking at a 16 camera system (8 internally 8 externally) running wirelessly to a pc? Any ideas what sort of PC I would need to do this?

Anything else I need to concider?

Any reccommended software?

Many Thanks

We are a chairty so the cheapest but effective solution the better.

16 camera system
cctv system to 16,000 sqft building

wireless will be the wrong way to go. system is to big and wireless has many problems. what is your budget for the system.

At the moment were in early planning stage but were hoping to do it for £1000 - £1500

If it can be done cheaper then great.

The building has lots of network cables everywhere so hard wiring shouldnt be a problem..

Were looking for cameras that record any movement if that helps

16 cameras, in a building that size, you'll need to add a zero to that price. I realize this is for a charity and there's not a lot of money to go around, but the hard facts are, you're not going to get any sort of quality system of that size, for that price range.

So the first thing you need to do is get your camera count down: narrow down the areas you NEED to cover, vs. the desire to simply see everything.

As for the wiring, whether you can re-use existing network cabling will depend on how it runs, where it runs to, and the types of cameras you use. If every location you want a camera has a run that goes straight back to a central location, you could re-purpose some network runs for analog video... if it's a structured network layout, however, where runs in a given area go to a local point and then uplink via a switch and another run, you'll have to use IP cameras (at additional cost)... or plan to run new wiring.

Tom is correct about wireless, though: cheap wireless cameras are barely usable in a small home system; they'll never do in a site this size. You can get wireless options that will work in this situation, but you'll pay a LOT more for them.

At the moment were in early planning stage but were hoping to do it for £1000 - £1500

If it can be done cheaper then great.

The building has lots of network cables everywhere so hard wiring shouldnt be a problem..

Were looking for cameras that record any movement if that helps

hi chris. what charity are you involved in. i have just got a price from qvis. (dahua dvr) and 16 cameras (qvis)

trade price is in your budget. less another 10% if the charity is a known one.

Could use something like the Dahua DVR and then start with budget cameras, always can switch out the cameras later for better ones for certain locations. The wiring may likely take up alot of your cost though.