JCorona

Newbie Here

Hello all,

Im new here and new to the CCTV world. I set up my house with a few cameras already and working on my yard where we keep our company trucks at. Im looking to upgrade the cameras at my house with new and better quality ones. Anyone have a certain brand that are better then or are they pretty much all the same? Also any suggestions on motion tracking cameras for my yard.

Right now at my house I have a Lorex 16 channel LH326501C4 DVR, is that a decent DVR or was that a bad purchase on my end?

Well, just about anything will be better than Lorex cameras. Can't make any specific recommendations without knowing a lot more about your needs and budget. Camera brands are definitely not all the same. What exactly do you mean by motion tracking? Do you mean a PTZ that follows things as they move around? Those are expensive and usually the wrong solution, because while it is following something moving over there -> it is missing something else moving over there <-.

That Lorex certainly isn't a great DVR, but may be fine for you.

Its true, motion-PTZs are usually not smart enough to track the right thing! They will be following a squirrel while someone steals a car!

Instead I would set up multiple cameras to cover the WHOLE area.

I would get 700tvl cameras. I have tried the Effio chip set and was very impressed. Get some varifocal Effio cameras and you should be very happy.

See post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26825

Also if you think your DVR is no good try out a Dahua DVR. They are fairly good price and many forum memebers like them.

Thank you guys for the info.. I might end up replacing the DVR soon then. And for the Cameras i was thinking just having 1 PTZ on the front of my driveway so i can view my drive way aswell as the street. But i'll go with multiple cameras instead now..

Also, I think im set on nothing less then 700line. I want to be able to see someones face clearly and not just a fuzz..

Greetings All,

Another "Newbie" here. I've upgraded all 9 of my cameras from the stock 420 TVL ones that came with my initial 4-ch unit. Best move I've made so far!

My minimum is now 600 with a couple @ 700. But I'm stomped on one feature on the new DVR. I don't understand why playback of clips recorded in D1 or HD1 look like stop-action movies and CIF looks fine.

What conditions have I not set correctly? Or, what am I not understanding?

Norm

Greetings All,

Another "Newbie" here. I've upgraded all 9 of my cameras from the stock 420 TVL ones that came with my initial 4-ch unit. Best move I've made so far!

My minimum is now 600 with a couple @ 700. But I'm stomped on one feature on the new DVR. I don't understand why playback of clips recorded in D1 or HD1 look like stop-action movies and CIF looks fine.

What conditions have I not set correctly? Or, what am I not understanding?

Norm

sounds like a real time CIF dvr you have with limited D1 fps

I have heard that CNB offer great value / performance for your money. In so far as I am aware regarding the motion detection systems, none of them can match in intelligence to actual monitoring. I doubt they ever will until the programmers can match human intuition.

It may not be everyone's idea of efficiency, but I like to cover areas of risk with two cameras, one up close to catch detail, and one with a wider view to get the overall idea of events. This has worked well for me in the past, the downside being that it does hog DVR rescources. My policy is though better to cut cable 5ft too long than 1 inch too short.

It may be an option if it's worth it to you, to have a third party monitoring centre watch your live cameras when you are away from the property. This is easy to do these days and can be surprisingly economic, thanks of course to broadband connections which we all take for granted now.

Regarding cameras I have also heard great things about Bosch and Panasonic but then you will pay a premium for those brands.

Good luck with your project