Sign in to follow this  
flachusnret

Hello from Alabama!

I just joined today and hope to learn a little about CCTV security setup for my home.

I would like to find out about what equipment is good enough to identify a person even at night yet not too expensive.

Welcome! " title="Applause" />

I'm a DIY too - my current favorites are Samsung's series of DVRs for recording, web viewing, etc. For cameras, I like CNB's True Day/Night cameras with the Monalisa chip. I have used the VCM-24VF and the DBM-24VF. Both are GREAT in low light - especially for the money. The vandal dome version (VCM/VBM) can be had for $130 online. Less for the indoor version (DBM).

Samsung's DVRs are kind of 'middle of the road' in terms of price - they are built very well. For 8 channels, full 30FPS on ALL channels at D1 resolution, SRD-870DC. If you only need 7.5FPS per channel at D1, the SRD-850DC is cheaper. There are also 4-channel and 16-channel solutions.

For video and power transmission, I like using cat5 cable with baluns as it is cheaper and easier to run and connect. One pair for video, one or two for power. Only one pair is needed for power if you are using just one CNB camera (without IR).

For power supplies, I's recommend a 4 or 8-channel PSU, basically a SMPS (similar to computer PSUs), with a fused connections for the cameras and accesories. Figure 1/3 of an amp at 12VDC per CNB cam.

The main thing with identification is getting the camera views just right. The CNB's I mentioned have varifocal lenses, so you can zoom in/out to set up your picture just right.