Sign in to follow this  
rory

High Powered Wireless Access Point

I need something for a big concrete home, can be mounted up on the roof in the center but needs to go maybe 100' and through at least 1 or 2 concrete walls ... any ideas? Has be something that can be picked up from Comp USA. The client wants to just walk around the house without reconnecting to different wireless networks as with routers etc. If possible maybe something that additional access points can be added to for extra coverage if needed but still be under the same connection name?

Thanks

Edited by Guest

I need something for a big concrete home, can be mounted up on the roof in the center but needs to go maybe 100' and through at least 1 or 2 concrete walls ... any ideas? Has be something that can be picked up from Comp USA. The client wants to just walk around the house without reconnecting to different wireless networks as with routers etc. If possible maybe something that additional access points can be added to for extra coverage if needed but still be under the same connection name?

Thanks

Have a look

may work for you

http://www.engeniustech.com/

It may not be at your CompUSA, but check out the Apple wireless devices. The Airport Express ($99 in the states) can either create a wifi network, or expand/strengthen an existing network.

In the scenario you describe it may be near impossible to have a single device radiate high-power in multiple directions, plus have enough sensitivity to pick up a signal from a laptop or tablet that is NOT a high power device.

In the scenario you describe the proper solution is normally multiple access points creating a single network vs. 1 single AP covering the entire footprint.

Wifi is tricky. First thing I would do is walk around with a spectrum analyzer and see where your issues are located. Notorious is correct will most likely need add multiple access points to the system to get the coverage you need. I have not used this yet but it might be an option for you http://www.ubnt.com/unifi

If you can only use on access point there is only one company that does wireless different then everyone else and that is Ruckus. You will see about twice the range and twice the throughput over any other wireless node on the market.