khalz

USB DVR device networking problem

I have just purchased a USB-DVR video card for the use of monitoring a few security cameras at my home. The owners manual was written terribly, and I am in need of some assistance.

From what I take from the manual, I need to somehow 'trick' or manipulate my I.P. address in to a static I.P. so that I can tap in to the computer (from a remote location) and view my cameras online.

I run an Arris EMTA and connect to a Linksys router. My computer with the camera video card will be hardlined to the router. I have the card installed properly and can view my camera feed on THAT COMPUTER ONLY.

Can anyone help me with the settings I will need to change in the router and in the computer in order to open the port so that I can type in the URL of that computer from anywhere to view the cameras?

From this system, I have that one computer hardlined and I am using two to three other computers wireless. I don't know if that matters, but that is my complete setup at the house.

In the manual, it says that if I am using a router, I need to change it to a static I.P in the router. Our ISP only allows for one modem in the house, and only offers static I.P. service to business class customers only.

Any help with this would be appreciated! I am going mad trying to figure this out! lol Thank you in advance!!

I have just purchased a USB-DVR video card for the use of monitoring a few security cameras at my home. The owners manual was written terribly, and I am in need of some assistance.

From what I take from the manual, I need to somehow 'trick' or manipulate my I.P. address in to a static I.P. so that I can tap in to the computer (from a remote location) and view my cameras online.

I run an Arris EMTA and connect to a Linksys router. My computer with the camera video card will be hardlined to the router. I have the card installed properly and can view my camera feed on THAT COMPUTER ONLY.

Can anyone help me with the settings I will need to change in the router and in the computer in order to open the port so that I can type in the URL of that computer from anywhere to view the cameras?

From this system, I have that one computer hardlined and I am using two to three other computers wireless. I don't know if that matters, but that is my complete setup at the house.

In the manual, it says that if I am using a router, I need to change it to a static I.P in the router. Our ISP only allows for one modem in the house, and only offers static I.P. service to business class customers only.

Any help with this would be appreciated! I am going mad trying to figure this out! lol Thank you in advance!!

There are quite a few settings to something like this and the actual steps vary based on the gear you have.

You are looking for a dynamic DNS service. A machine on your network will send a 'keep alive' signal sporadically to a service. The services are free most of the time. Linksys and other routers actually have a tab in the web interface/setup for putting in your dynamic address name and integrating the service in. This one is free: http://dyn.com/dns/dyndns-free/ At that point you would be getting a DNS name instead of a static IP, but it works the same. When you sign up you choose a name or get a random one given to you.

On the router side you would need to setup a DMZ to one inside address (open it up, so to speak - the reference to DMZ is like that for the military term) that your DVR is on or, the safer way, just foward the ports needed to the address of your DVR. Now, in both cases you would need to have a static address. Generally routers hand out addresses from something like 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.254. You can 1 is the router (normally), but 2-99 are available but would never be handed out, so there would never be a conflict. Set you DVR's address to one of those addresses. This would be in the DHCP section on the router. Some routers, in the DHCP section might have 'reservations' where you can pull and address out of the range to be assigned manually.

Good luck, it's pretty easy though - dynamic DNS is what you are looking for I have a feeling.