Hi,

I'm wondering, those of you that sell DVRs to residential customers, what do you normally set the recording resolution at?

Thanks,

Sue

residential or biz is the same..............each camera gets it's own setting based on the scene captured.

resolution is set at 320x240 for area's like seating, parking lots, hallways. 640x480 for cash registers, safes, ect.

frames per second is set high for registers, safes, ect. medium, parking lot, medium. never set to low. fps? 3 -7 being low, 8 - 18 medium, and 19 on up high.

bytes per frame..................pretty much keep them all at default settings of 10000 for 320x240 and 20000 for 640x480.

and the final adjustment is done after the above. you watch the live and playback to see if it is clean and crisp.......if not, adjust them accordingly because each camera has it's own variances which effect the overall final picture. ie. great camera only needs medium settings where a cheap one needs higher.

basically if its a low res camera, dont bother setting it to anything above 320x240.

Higher Res on outdoor cameras if they are high res or mid res cameras. If indoor cameras have plenty of lighting and arent a high risk area, low res on those. Eg. Smoke Detector camera right over a register, most are low res cameras, so only need to record at 320x240 as higher res makes no diff, plus they have a lot of light.

If all you have is high res cameras, and have alot of HDD space, then go high res recording. If not too much space, and alot of motion, then go 640x480 or even half that or adjust according to which are more important.

It really differs from camera to camera and location to location, and client to client. Motion detection at the locations also make a big diff.

Using a stand alone like GE i always leave them on HIGH recording quality. PCs are where you need to make adjustments.

Rory

Thanks very much for the tips. I have a very cheap system, so I don't have much in the way of adjustments. With this system I cannot record above 320x240. I'd like you experts to look at this and see if you think that this is sufficient.....I mean for police to try and identify a burglar. Do you think better cameras would do any better? These are infrared, 420 lines, I believe. Thanks much.

http://www.odoms.net/Camclips/

That's a budget camera, with i think a CMOS image chip, try a ccd for not much more $ and it will be improved significantly.

If its indoor it might be an idea for a covert camera indide a dummy pir or smoke sensor.

I think it's CCD. That's what it says anyway. Yeah, been looking at the dome cameras. I already have real PIRs here, one more would look funny.

The blonde burglar with the ink is my daughter, yes. I want her to join the Navy, she's pre-tattooed.

It's really hard to know what camera to choose without being able to see a demo first. Anybody point me to a demo, or even just some still shots from various cameras?

Sue, your looking at a fairly small scene and not too far away, so it's not that big an issue to have "postage stamp" sized images, it's actully pretty good for what you paid!

Mind you I bet the low light ability is weak.. but thats prolly a good thing with good lookin daughters like yours.. you may not want to know what time they get home LOL

Thank you very much. Actually these LED cameras are not bad in the dark. I can see quite a bit. Daughter has moved out so no problem there. Thanks for your expert opinion. Yes, not bad for a real budget system.