MikeInTampa

Dome Camera Exterior Stucco (Cinder Block) Mount

Can I mount a dome camera on an exterior wall without a special mount? I'd like to mount the camera directly to the wall. Will this cause any viewing angle issues? Can the viewing angle be rotated? Also, does a metal dome camera need a clear or smoke dome enclosure, or is it OK to mount it without the enclosure? Thank you!

You can mount it anywhere it will fit.

But the viewing angle depends on the camera model.

Most have a 3-axis adjustment so that would work fine.

Check the specs on the camera first.

I normally also caulk around where the dome meets the wall, incase the wall is not 100% flat so water does not come in the rear of it.

I dont understand the part about the metal dome?

The camera needs to be enclosed or it will get wet and die.

Example of 2 domes mounted on wall

Ssl11639.jpg.8adb8d571674cb0950855bba7e78a5d3.jpg

Thank you both! The cameras I am looking at are

"VideoSecu 600TVL Outdoor Day Night Vision Home Security Surveillance Camera Vandal Proof 1/3" SONY CCD with Power Supply WA5". I will take a look at the spec.

Yea, with like every dome cameras ever conceived, the actual camera inside can move around in every direction. I have mounted plenty of domes on walls, just have to rotate the camera assembly until its just right.

Now when you mount to cinder blocks, you should use appropriate screws to secure it to wall.

Yea, with like every dome cameras ever conceived, the actual camera inside can move around in every direction.

Most fixed domes in the years gone by were limited to just up and down and very limited left to right, I've used many domes that left me cussing because they could not be properly adjusted when wall mounted - you literally had to mount it in the direction you wanted to view, so ceiling mount was the most used option and even then it can be a PITA, still deal with many of them in the field today. Only in very recent years have most new domes been coming with 3-axis gimbles.

Speaking of cinder blocks what type of screws, drill, etc should be used to mount cameras/make hole for wires.

Rory you have a lot of cinder-block down there right?

Masonry bits and hammer drill for punching through (a standard cordless 18-24V hammer drill should suffice, you probably don't need a full-blown SDS drive like the big Bosch and Hilti drills for smaller holes). Tapcons are great, just don't over-tighten (as jerome says), and don't use an impact driver to put them in - a standard cordless drill (or your hammer drill on drill/driver mode) on low-speed setting is best. Make sure if you get Tapcons though, to get the packages that include the proper bit.

Speaking of cinder blocks what type of screws, drill, etc should be used to mount cameras/make hole for wires.

Rory you have a lot of cinder-block down there right?

cordless hammer drill, wall plugs, stainless steel screws, concrete bits.