NorwayCCTV

Analog video from garage-cam to DVR, no coax, no wireless?

I've set up a 8-cam system at a friend's home, of which 6 cams are up and running. Going to install the last one when the weather permits it and then connect his garage-cam somehow. Right now it just acts as a dummy-cam. A very expensive dummy that is... Problem is:

I need to wire the cam (primarily video only, power I can fix locally in the garage) to the DVR in the attic. The routing of a coax is almost impossible and involves heavy drilling equipment through a foundation of concrete and rock (old house that's been rebuilt), then routing the wire visible through two floors is neither a preferred option. The garage has electrical power. My friend insists on the cam there and not using wireless (at least not without good encryption). If the cam was an IP-cam I could've gone the "Home Plug"-route. Any ideas/suggestions? I have searched through the forums here, without striking gold...

hi. do you have a phone line in the garage from the house ?? or any data cables you could use.

If the cam was an IP-cam I could've gone the "Home Plug"-route. Any ideas/suggestions?

then you would have a problem getting it back to analog for your dvr if its not hybrid.

your only option may be wireless ... how far is it from house to garage ?

hi. do you have a phone line in the garage from the house ?? or any data cables you could use.

If the cam was an IP-cam I could've gone the "Home Plug"-route. Any ideas/suggestions?

then you would have a problem getting it back to analog for your dvr if its not hybrid.

your only option may be wireless ... how far is it from house to garage ?

Hi!

No phone line in the garage, not even in the house (but there is a LAN inside the house), he's using IP-Phone over CCTV. Only power cables going into the garage, through plastic piping, put there before it was built. The garage was built recently, it is connected to the house and the roof of the garage is actually the deck of the house (there is a porch between the house and the garage), therefore there is a membrane (to make it water-proof) outside, which can not be breeched.

The DVR is not a hybrid...

Wireless is where I want to go too, but my friend is very skeptical towards wireless. The distance from the cam to the DVR is about 50 feet, in a straight line (not cable distance!). What about encrypted wireless transmission at a reasonable price?

Yea, phone lines (typically cat5 these days) can easily be used with a balun to send that video. You only need 1 pair!

Thanks Birdman, I am aware of that option...

You can use just about any pair of wire with baluns to move analog video. You could use station wire to keep it less conspicuous than Cat5. Tuck it under flashings, edges of siding, etc. to route around the membrane.

Run the coax outside the house up and into the attic wherever it's needed. Doesn't need to be inside at all.

Cable companies, satellite tv, phone lines, etc. are all done this way.