I have an opportunity to bid on an installlation but I'm new to the camera side of IT. A couple questions: Mobotix advertises their great advantage is that their camera systems don't require any annual license renewal fee for operating management software because each camera uses a flash memory card at the camera. So does that mean most or all other camera systems do require a fee for software? It seems like a big selling factor. Am I missing anything? This job bid is for 30 cameras in a commercial building.

Look at Avigilon. They have great cameras and software and you only pay once and continue to receive support.

We use 3xLogic Vigil hybrid DVR/NVR systems, they work with a vast range of IP cameras and don't require any sort of annual licensing - you pay once for the system and each license, and that's it.

Frankly, I don't understand this "annual re-licensing" thing - you mean I have to return to a site once a year just to update license keys, or my cameras will stop recording? Anyone who uses such a model has gone Full Retard.

WIth the Mobotix cameras you never have to pay for a license or for software updates for the software. In addition to recording internally in the cameras, you can also record directly to a NAS or file share on the network without the need for an NVR or NVR software running on the PC. This not only decreases costs, but with the analytics being built into the camera, decreases the amount of network traffic.

We use 3xLogic Vigil hybrid DVR/NVR systems, they work with a vast range of IP cameras and don't require any sort of annual licensing - you pay once for the system and each license, and that's it.

Frankly, I don't understand this "annual re-licensing" thing - you mean I have to return to a site once a year just to update license keys, or my cameras will stop recording? Anyone who uses such a model has gone Full Retard.

The renewal issues are in regards to continued product updates/feature enhancements (with Milestone and Exacq, at least). The systems will continue to operate, just updates/patches are not available.

So far, Avigilon has not followed this path. I hope they don't change, it's one nice selling feature for them.