flyeye

Which DVR card records the highest quality?

Hi,

I need a DVR card which can record in the highest quality possible. Hard disk space is no issue.

I am getting good results with the hikvision 4008HCI - but i'm wondering if there is something better out there.

Thank you!

Flyeye

Perhaps you'd be better off forgetting the card and just going to a megapixel IP system.

Software compression card at CIF with basic cheap analog dome:

cheap_cam1-1.jpg

1.3MP IP camera (cheap dome visible at bottom-left - click image for full size):

good_cam1-1.jpg

Same card at 4CIF/D1 with similar cheap analog dome:

possmallJPG-1.jpg

Indentical 1.3MP camera (click for full size):

poslargeJPG-1.jpg

Hi Soundy,

thanks for the comments. However, I'm asking only about analog board cameras...

Of course, megapixel or IP cameras are better quality. Hey, I could use a Canon 5d mk2 and get even better quality. But the fact is, I am "stuck" with analog board cameras. For this project, I can only use those, primarily because of the cost, and especially the size (38 x 38 mm and only about 5mm deep)

thanks,

Flyeye

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/product_det.aspx?ID=790&p=cpyzc&p_kind=3&c_kind=252&c_kind2=&c_kind3=

4 channel 1080P(25,30)/1080I(50,60)/720P(25,30,50,60) HD-SDI video inputs

Support up to 1080P realtime live view

4 channel full-HD video realtime compression, max 200fps at 1080P, support dual-stream

Encoding Resolution

1080P(1920×1080), 720P(1280×720), 1080P/4(960×540), 720P/4(640×360), 1080P/16(480×270), 720P/16(320×180)

Make of that as you will, I've never used it

NVR and Megapixel might be cheaper.

I am "stuck" with analog board cameras. For this project, I can only use those, primarily because of the cost, and especially the size (38 x 38 mm and only about 5mm deep)

if these are cheap board cams then i would not bother about the the DVR having the highest recording quality.

they will be low tvl so just go 30 fps @ cif

Hi,

I need a DVR card which can record in the highest quality possible. Hard disk space is no issue.

I am getting good results with the hikvision 4008HCI - but i'm wondering if there is something better out there.

Thank you!

Flyeye

Do you know that your camera are capable of outputting a decent enough signal?

I don't really deal much with DVR cards (or DVR's/analog stuff in general) these days, but for the most part a lot of that gear is commoditized, I think they are all of similar quality (provided you stay away from absolute junk).

If your current DVR card isn't producing a suitable image, the problem might be the source, not the recorder...

I am "stuck" with analog board cameras. For this project, I can only use those, primarily because of the cost, and especially the size (38 x 38 mm and only about 5mm deep)

if these are cheap board cams then i would not bother about the the DVR having the highest recording quality.

they will be low tvl so just go 30 fps @ cif

I'm using expensive 650TVL "true WDR" board cams. something higher than D1 should certainly be possible, I think!

Hi,

If your current DVR card isn't producing a suitable image, the problem might be the source, not the recorder...

the problem is that the "live view" looks great, but the saved movie is too compressed.

I want a DVR card that does as little compression as possible ( = huge files on disk, no problem!)

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/product_det.aspx?ID=790&p=cpyzc&p_kind=3&c_kind=252&c_kind2=&c_kind3=

4 channel 1080P(25,30)/1080I(50,60)/720P(25,30,50,60) HD-SDI video inputs

Support up to 1080P realtime live view

4 channel full-HD video realtime compression, max 200fps at 1080P, support dual-stream

Encoding Resolution

1080P(1920×1080), 720P(1280×720), 1080P/4(960×540), 720P/4(640×360), 1080P/16(480×270), 720P/16(320×180)

Make of that as you will, I've never used it

NVR and Megapixel might be cheaper.

Hi Rory,

Wow, this is very interesting. I had not come across this DVR card before. This leads me to two questions.

1. With a card like this, will there be a difference in the resolution captured, between say a 600TVL and 750TVL camera?

2. Otherwise, where is a good place to look for board cameras with 1080P resolution? I found something here http://shop.leopardimaging.com/product.sc?productId=52&categoryId=10 for example?

thanks, this is all very helpful for me!

Flyeye

I would imagine only if that 750TVL camera is a 960H camera (960x pixels).

TVL means little (well not entirely but ..), its the total effective pixels that count.

2. Otherwise, where is a good place to look for board cameras with 1080P resolution? I found something here http://shop.leopardimaging.com/product.sc?productId=52&categoryId=10 for example?

thanks, this is all very helpful for me!

Flyeye

I have found only this "3G SDI" camera board, but it seems to not include the sensor itself

http://www.jetro.go.jp/ttppoas/anken/0001126000/1126585_e.html

I wonder if anyone could point me towards a board camera that has 3G SDI (1080P) resolution?

thanks,

Flyeye

4008HCI does up to 8ch 2CIF real time; you also have from Hikvision 4208HFVI, which does up to 8ch D1 (4CIF) real time. D1/4CIF is as high as you can go with analog cameras.

4008HCI does up to 8ch 2CIF real time; you also have from Hikvision 4208HFVI, which does up to 8ch D1 (4CIF) real time. D1/4CIF is as high as you can go with analog cameras.

Ah - I'm only using 4 cameras at the moment, so I can get 4x D1 resolution but not 8x D1 resolution with this card.... right?

Ah - I'm only using 4 cameras at the moment, so I can get 4x D1 resolution but not 8x D1 resolution with this card.... right?

4ch D1 real time with 4008HCI? I have no idea, sorry, but it might be possible.

4204HFVI would give you 4ch D1 real time, but if you are looking at 4ch D1 now, and later expanding up to 8ch 2CIF, 4008HCI might work for you. If you already have it, just try it.