flyeye

Does any DVR card record 600TVL or above?

From the comments I've read on this forum, there seem to be little or no benefit to using 600+ TVL board cameras.

But I guess in some time, the DVR cards will catch up to these new cameras?

Is there any DVR card currently which can record higher than 704x576 / 720x480, taking advantage of these new 600 or 700TVL cameras?

thanks,

Flyeye

From the comments I've read on this forum, there seem to be little or no benefit to using 600+ TVL board cameras.

Other than "weakest link" theory, not really.

But I guess in some time, the DVR cards will catch up to these new cameras?

Nope, never. The limitation (or weakest link) lies mainly in the analog video standards used - NTSC supports a maximum of 486 visible lines of resolution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC#Lines_and_refresh_rate)

The only way around it is to use a different, all-digital transport method, such as IP or SDI, or to go to a component-video capture card (I think I've seen one or two, EVER... single-channel, designed for HDTV use).

Thanks Matt for your help.

So, this huge market shift from 520TVL to 600, 650, 700 TVL is completely meaningless, marketing BS thrown upon ignorant consumers? (Hey, it wouldn't be the first, or the last time!)

What about the Effio and its Wide Dynamic Range? Surely the overall quality from these cameras are going to yield a slightly higher quality image overall than predecessors?

But again, in real world terms, the "best" 600TVL camera and the "best" 700TVL camera will have zero difference in quality, color, sharpness, sensitivity, etc.?

thank you,

Flyeye

Thanks Matt for your help.

So, this huge market shift from 520TVL to 600, 650, 700 TVL is completely meaningless, marketing BS thrown upon ignorant consumers? (Hey, it wouldn't be the first, or the last time!)

Not ENTIRELY... but there is a large component of that, yes. Not unlike the "megapixel race" in photography, with manufacturers constantly touting higher and higher megapixel counts with no considerations for the trade-offs that introduces. My current phone has more MP than my first DSLR, FFS, you'd think it should take better pictures!!

But again, in real world terms, the "best" 600TVL camera and the "best" 700TVL camera will have zero difference in quality, color, sharpness, sensitivity, etc.?

All else being equal, yes... although all else is rarely equal.