fernand

hardisk / hdd can not read file on PC

Dear all,

i have another question.

My hardisk / hdd on DVR avtech kpd674 already fulled and

i would like to back up the data to my PC.

i plug out the hdd and connect to my PC.

while i connect the hdd to my PC using external casing(USB cable), it has detection and says the new drive has been installed and ready to use.

then

i go to "Start" ---> "My Computer", i can see "C Drive", but no other drive available.

i don't know what happen, can anyone please help ?

Regards,

Fernand

Hi,

Sounds like a simple case of windows not automatically assigning a drive letter. I'm guessing your running windows 7?

If so:

Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the Navigation pane (on the left), click Disk Management. You should have a disk without a letter, right click and then you may need to click make partition active, then assign a drive letter.

It will now be accessible from my computer.

Hope that helps

Mark

Dear all,

i have another question.

My hardisk / hdd on DVR avtech kpd674 already fulled and

i would like to back up the data to my PC.

i plug out the hdd and connect to my PC.

while i connect the hdd to my PC using external casing(USB cable), it has detection and says the new drive has been installed and ready to use.

then

i go to "Start" ---> "My Computer", i can see "C Drive", but no other drive available.

i don't know what happen, can anyone please help ?

Regards,

Fernand

Many DVRs don't have standard file systems on their hard disk, or keep some of the file system on an embedded linux chip. So if you pull out the HD and stick it into a PC, windows will detect an unformated drive.

Don't format it - it will wipe everything from the disk.

The only way you could back this up is with some forensic imaging software that makes a complete bit-by-bit copy of the disk. O&O do this ($30) but unless there is something really important on the hard disk, I wouldn't bother. Restoring the disk may not work (the DVR may only work with a particular make and model of HD) and you would only be able to play it in the DVR anyway.

If you need to make a copy of some video from the DVR, better to export it using the DVR to CD or USB stick.