azmp1

help on DRV card software/wireless camera

Hi All, i am in need of some help please.

I'm new to this, so forgive me if i sound ignorant on some qestions.

I've setup a cheap cctv system for my home, i only need it for monitoring my kids and the nany during the day and don't need anything fancy.

here's the what i did. i've purchased (on ebay) a cheap 4 port DVR card that came with pico2000 version 1.8 software, i've also purchased (too on ebay) 2 (so far) wireless 1.2ghz generic spy cams.

the card was installed in windows 2003 server located in the basement, one camera was setup on the first floor in the linving room and the other camera was set up in one of the bedrooms upstairs, with both receivers located near the server and connected to the DVR card.

the setup was pretty easy and both the DVR card and the cameras are functioning OK.

But here are my questions though.

1. Can i use any other software with this DRV card other then pico2000, as i'd like to have the webserver capabilities to be able to publish the feeds and view over internet? I think the card i have is a UCC4A model.

2. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive wireless spy cam that will give me a better range then the 2 i bought on ebay? Even though in the description they advertised that you can get 1000 feet line of site and 500 feet through walls range the camera that is on the second floor has a very bad picture (the one on the first floor is ok though).

I appreciate all the help.

Thanks

Alex

The keyword here is Ebay.

Good thing there are places like this forum for "free" advice on products that were sold on Ebay. My suggestion is contact the seller on Ebay and ask them to support their own products. Hope it al works out for you.

scottj

you know man, there are always people like you in all forums that just give smart a$$ answers instead of trying to help. people like you give bad names to a good forum... shame.

Actually it was a valid answer. I was simply pointing out that you may want to contact your seller for support as a first point of contact.

Regarding question #1: Try http://www.luxriot.com and see if they support your board. There are other companies who will support multiple brand boards and include webserver feature for WAN broadcast, try a Google Search using your board information. Prices range considerably depending on channel capacity and features you are seeking.

Regarding question #2: Wireless cameras sold on Ebay are junk. They are mass produced in a sweatshop and are sold for novelty purpose, not security. If you are wanting to monitor your children (hopefully your most valuable asset), then spending more money to buy from a reputable supplier who will support their products should not be a concern for you.

scottj

I appologise if i missunderstood you, i just get tired of people that will rather bash you then help you.

As for my set-up i'm not a pro and have never dealt with this before, i just bought what i saw at the place i knew that had what i need, as unfortunatly i do not know of any reputable sellers for wirelless cams and that is why i was asking in the first place.

So, again, if you, or anyone else can tell me where i might be able to buy (or give me a brand name) for a wirelless cam that will have a nice transmition range i'd greatly appreciate it.

Otr at the least give me some pointers on what i need to look at under specifications...

Thanks

Alex

Sounds like you may a transmission issue anyway, like is the ceiling between the 2 floors concrete, wood? Is there anything between the receiver and the cameras, like AC ducts, fridges, etc?

Wireless can always give you issues, or at least alot of fun setting it up. Check out http://www.videocommtech.com/ for professional wireless gear. Otherwise also look at running wire for some hard wired cameras if you can.

for the dvr info, check this thread:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2021

Also, scott is right, there is alot of junk on ebay, with CCTV you get what you pay for ..

There is also alot of dealers on here that can get you some decent gear for a good price, there is something for every budget. Where are you located, approx.

rory

scottj's bark is worse than his bite. The forum Pit Bull. That is a valid point though, I can't see the connection either, buying a cheap system with monitoring my kids.

azmp1, good to have you onboard and stick around, you will learn alot from these cctv nerds.