Sign in to follow this  
dmhunter

Pelco Spectra IV - Unable to update firmware

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone else has had issues using the Pelco download utility software when trying to update firmware.

I've set the correct address/ baud rate/ com port etc but simply get a "Failed to open com port" message when clicking on the PTZ control icon.

I'm using the same USB to Serial lead I use for multiple other applications (Warden call systems/door entry systems) and it always works perfectly.

I'm using a null modem and IPS cable from a work friend who has used it successfully to update firmware on other Pelco domes.

The domes are running 1.05, which is old. I'm attempting to update to 1.062 then 1.09 before going to 2.4 as suggested by Pelco.

Pelco technical support suggest that something is wrong with the lead/serial converter but I know they're all good.

Many thanks for any suggestions. I'm pulling what little hair I have left out.

It appears that the Pelco software doesn't like talking to USB to serial converters so will try with an old laptop with a built in serial connection.

If anyone else has had a similar experience it would be useful to know.

We've found that the best way to update Spectra firmware is to just replace the chip. Of course, that only applies to Spectra II's and is more expensive but it also a lot less frustrating. For Spectra III's and IV's, we don't usually bother as we haven't found any need...

I'm using the same USB to Serial lead I use for multiple other applications (Warden call systems/door entry systems) and it always works perfectly.

It sounds like one of your other applications is holding that com port open, try changing the port number setting for your converter in the device manager, then try it again.

*****Edit******

A good test to see if the problem is with your computer is to try and use Hyperterminal, and see if you can open a session on that port, that will tell you if another application is using that port.