Sign in to follow this  
pilotg2

Test CCTV Cam and cables via PC monitor not DVR?

Hello again, i'm finding this forum very helpful and have another question?

I'm planning on buying two 700 TVL SONY EFFIO-E cams and RG59 with power BNC cables for a friends flat that can be fixed into place during the renovation and i will buy the DVR when the renovation is finished.

I'd like to test the camera's and most importantly the cables all work during the renovation - is there any way i can do this with my PC monitor or a laptop? Something like a BNC to VGA converter?

Thanks!

You said flat not apartment so you must be in the UK?

You could plug into a TV Video AUX jack (usually a yellow RCA at back or front on the TV) and select Aux channel. An old 14 inch TV set or something like that. You will need some convertor plugs but those are relatively cheap. You might be lucky and find a BNC CCTV monitor on ebay (don't hold your breath), but most of them end up in a skip.

If you don't have access to an old TV set you have a couple more options. You can get a either a 7 inch TV screen intended for in-car entertainment, or a 3.5" test monitor. These are available from £50 - £400 depending on functionality. I've seen this on ebay for about £125 + P&P and you can see that adjusting posiition, on screen menus and focusing VF lenses becomes a breeze.

169307_1.jpg

You could test the cables for continuity and open circuit easily using just a multimeter and

a length of insulated wire.

Personally, if I were building-in cables, I would build-in a couple of Cat5 cables and baluns instead of coax. You only require a single twisted pair for the baluns and in the event that pair becomes faulty you have spares to use. The use of baluns does NOT degrade the video signal in the slightest.

The other advantage of course is that if you want to upgrade to IP cameras in the future, you have no rewiring to perform, just a few connection changes. The second cable would be a spare, this spare is only a precaution and not essential.

Thanks for the through response!

I like the idea of using network cables for the cams instead of coax. In fact i was going to "future proof" the flat and run CAT6 next to the coax. So if i run two CAT6 cables (one for back up) that would be perfect.

I had a quick look and to wire up CAT6 would i use 1 pair for video and the remaining 3 pairs for power per camera on either end? Is the quality video/interference protection the same as coax? Finally (sorry about all the questions) is it ok to use CAT6 instead of CAT5e?

Re testing the cables, as this is just a one off, i'd like to keep costs down on checking the cables, if i just stuck RJ45's on the end and network tested them I suppose that would suffice. It would be nice to see the video through them tho'... but cheaply!

Do put RJ45 plugs at either end and get a couple of Video and power baluns. That will be a good solution.

Baluned video lines can suffer interference or ground loop just as well as coax, however you can get baluns that have a built in ground loop eliminator. Just wire the plugs as you would for a network cable. It'll same you buying a crimp tool for BNC.

So you would need baluns that;

1. provide power and video

2. accept RJ45 plugs

3. have ground loop protection (more expensive)

Cat5 & Cat 6 are both suitable

Alternatively, do as you said, use the other three pair for DC power, splitting one of the pairs between the others.

You can of course use standard passive baluns up to 300m (more on Cat6), however at that distance your voltage drop needs careful monitoring, but you are installing the DVR later on so you can get a different PSU if needs be.

Ig it is a long run and the voltage drop is too much, consider running from a 24V AC PSU and transforming down to 12vDC at the camera end.

Don't forget to enclose it all in a Junction box if the camera is to be outside as these can suffer water damage

and make sure it will be large enough to house a transformer if you need to go the 24V AC route.

169329_1.jpg