Bmonaweck02

Security System Design!!!

I am looking to setup a security system.

First off, what is the best "cable/wire" is best for cctv cameras? RG59 or Cat5? I am looking to go long distance with my cables, up to 200'. What is going to be the best quality? As well as possibly 1 or 2 cameras as far away from the DVR as 500' or 600'. Now that is a possibility but probably not going to go that far away from the DVR. What is the best "cable/wire" for the best qaulity? If RG59 is not the best way to go, please instruct on how to use other cable/wire because I've only used RG59.

Also, I am debating between a dahua DVR or a PELCO DVR5116-1000 off of ebay. Which is better, I am looking at a 16 channel system with 8 cameras right away.

What, would be the best camera for under $100 dollars a piece. I have very good lighting if that helps..

Thanks to all who respond with suggestions in advance.

Thanks

I am looking to setup a security system.

Well then, you've come to the right place

First off, what is the best "cable/wire" is best for cctv cameras? RG59 or Cat5?

As with cameras, DVRs, and everything else, there is no "best"... only what is "best suited" to a specific need. Criteria can be distance required, the space the cables have to run through (ie. small conduit), the number of runs needed, and of course, total cost.

I am looking to go long distance with my cables, up to 200'. What is going to be the best quality? As well as possibly 1 or 2 cameras as far away from the DVR as 500' or 600'. Now that is a possibility but probably not going to go that far away from the DVR. What is the best "cable/wire" for the best qaulity? If RG59 is not the best way to go, please instruct on how to use other cable/wire because I've only used RG59.

RG59 is fine for 200', but not so much at 500+. UTP (not necessarily Cat5e) with *good* passive baluns will be fine for signal at that distance, although power could become an issue depending on the cameras.

If I was running that far, though, I'd be more likely to look at powering those cameras locally and running multiple video feeds over a lesser number of Cat5. For example, if you have four cameras in a remote building, you could power them there, then run all four video feeds over a single Cat5 (or Cat3, or Cat6) back to the DVR's location.

For 200', you should be fine running power and video on a single Cat5, especially if the cameras are non-IR, non-PTZ (both things that draw a lot of current), and/or can be powered by 24V rather than 12V (voltage drop over distance is less).

example, if you have four cameras in a remote building, you could power them there, then run all four video feeds over a single Cat5 (or Cat3, or Cat6) back to the DVR's location.

yup! in our shed i have 4 cameras (3 on the outside, 1 on the inside) all powered from a psu inside the shed. the psu also powers a microphone and vibration sensors inside the camera housings (to activate an alarm should the camera be attacked by a brick again) and the video signals run back via cat5.

alarm signals are on standard alarm wire.

What is going to give the best quality?

That depends. At 200' there may be a measurable difference, but not likely a noticeable one. At 500+ you'd probably start to see some serious degradation in the image with coax, but there should be little or none with the UTP.

Note that this assumes you're using decent-quality baluns; some no-name junk may not fare as well.... or it may be just fine, but that's the risk you take with no-name junk

Ok, I will use the RG59 then,

As far as cameras what do you suggest? I am looking at a true day/night camera, what is the best brand and if you have a particular camera you like could you suggest it? I am looking at under $100 a piece

Note that this assumes you're using decent-quality baluns; some no-name junk may not fare as well.... or it may be just fine, but that's the risk you take with no-name junk

This brings up a question I have. I havent dealt a whole lot with CAT5 as we deal mainly with Siamese but just for kicks, I bought the cheapest baluns I could find on ebay and I cant tell any difference from the GEM high quality baluns that I have. Since this is such a small piece which basically converts a ground and video signal from 2 wires over to a BNC connection, does it really matter if they are high quality or not? Granted I dont want the things falling apart on me but as long as they dont do that, whats the real difference in high quality baluns compared to low cost ghetto baluns? I mean sure, one might use higher quality metal than the other but does the quality of metal really mater on such a small piece such as that. I would ASSume that the quality of metal should be payed more attention in the cable being used. What are your thoughts?