Sign in to follow this  
nilla

hi there...

Hi, I've just purchased my first starter system yesterday, but I have yet to install. I got the Q-See QT428 (8 channel) dvr with 4 520tvl cameras bundle from costco. I got some good info on here about the bundled camera basically being junk, but the dvr box being a OK rebadged chinese model. I'm only in 300 buck so far. I fully expect to upgrade/replace the cameras as they die. If it's complete garbage I can use the costco return policy

My applications:

What I suspect neignborhood kids threw a large rock through the back window of my rental nissan versa the other day in my driveway (and I'm on the hook for cost of fixing it). I also have a baby coming in december, and wanted a system I can double with for that, by using the android app on my smartphone and tablet to monitor. I plan on getting an upgraded camera with decent indoor IR abilities with sound for the baby room.

I'd like to see 2 car lengths down my driveway at night to ID these punks if they try anything again! Not sure if the QSM5265C camera is up to the task or if I'll need something beefier. I figured I would start with 2 cameras in front of my house (1 in front of garage the other hiding under a eve on the other side of the house, and 1 other on each side. I have pretty high wood fences in the back, so I'm not so worried about intruders back there right now (although I have a koi/turtle box I wouldn't mind checking up on remotely)

I also have an Ademco Vista 20SE that I have no monitoring on right now, I'm curious how I can hook up my dvr system into for for anything useful. I have instructions somewhere on retrieving the installer password (I did this on my last house, a vista 10se)

I'm attaching the drawings of my house (sorry a 5 min drawing in inkscape).

I put the red numbers where I was going to place the camera. Does anyone have any opinions for the n00b here?

Ryan

security-layout.thumb.png.d78211915e599bf7e0d0e962f7eb1667.png

Hi

You should be looking at two cameras to view the driveway, one for an overview and one for more detail, if you are going to identify anyone. Pay attention to lighting as many of the anti-social events will take place after dark especially now the winter is with us.

These points on which you plan your system are known as Operational Requirements. The name is self explanatory but fundamental to achieving a suitable system.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the response! I currently have NO lighting on my driveway. For some reason the house didn't have any and it's pretty new (6 years). I think I need to add some motion lighting under the eaves of the driveway at least. Should I mount my cams below the light or above? Is it better for the cameras to have a motion light or should I be more stealth and get some kind of IR floodlight or just simple more decorative non-motion lights?

I was thinking 2 motion lights under the eaves on each side of the garage, and then maybe a cam under/over each?

I am a bit budget constrained at the moment but next year I'll have better funds for some nicer cams.

security-layout.thumb.png.65eb82df637ff110338357cfc0ae64a3.png