watchdog9

External LED IR (outside dome) hookup help

I ordered 2 -- 48 led IR light units to mount outside of my (dome inclosed) ip cam because of the glare that the lights on the cam create makes it impossible to use the cam at night. I can block out the lights on the cam so the glare should be eleminated.

THIS BE MY PROBLEM:

When I plug in the EXTERNAL IR lights to around 5v DC I get nothing or no ilumination of the bulbs. My assumption was that I could simply provide a power source to the lights and they would just illuminate. Doesn't happen -- any help is greatly appreicated.

I ordered 2 -- 48 led IR light units to mount outside of my (dome inclosed) ip cam because of the glare that the lights on the cam create makes it impossible to use the cam at night. I can block out the lights on the cam so the glare should be eleminated.

THIS BE MY PROBLEM:

When I plug in the EXTERNAL IR lights to around 5v DC I get nothing or no ilumination of the bulbs. My assumption was that I could simply provide a power source to the lights and they would just illuminate. Doesn't happen -- any help is greatly appreicated.

Are you sure those IR lights aren't 12VDC? Most of them take more than 5V

Thanks for the reply and I have tried up to 17vdc with no results.

hi like Sawbones has said most 48 led lights are 12v 0.5amp also most also have a sensor that switches them on so it will have to be dark.

another problem you might have is your IP camera may not see IR lighting

Perhaps I am missing something --- I assumed the light worked independently and the only thing need was to supply power to it, independent of the cam?

Perhaps I am missing something --- I assumed the light worked independently and the only thing need was to supply power to it, independent of the cam?

The lights do require power... and most of them operate independently, depending on light level.

Did you try covering up the photocell to see if they would come on? You could also test them in a dark room, and see if there is a dim red glow from the LEDs.

Hi is this the sort of light you have ?? you need to test in the dark (if you cant see light try and look from your mobile camera) put your phone into camera mode will allow you to see if it is working

169997_1.jpg

Thanks, that I indeed do---total darkness--- I suppose it is possible I just recieved 2 defective units?

might not be defective you may have poped them using 17v.

Hi is this the sort of light you have ?? you need to test in the dark (if you cant see light try and look from your mobile camera) put your phone into camera mode will allow you to see if it is working

169997_1.jpg

I had two of those exact lights come with defective power supplies... so they actually could be bad... though they did work for about an hour.

Well, that is the light you show sort of the light I have but mine is round with 48 bulbs ---I did the cam thing you reccommended and -- nothing -- I don't see how I blew the unit since I started a 5vdc then 7.5 ect up to 17vdc with no results?

What sense does this make if any -- I connected each terminal of several independent lights with anywhere from 5vdcto 12vdc and none glowed?

with cameras with built in IR, the IR modual usually has 3 wires going to it, 12VIN, 0V, 12VOUT.

the camera gives 12v to the modual and when it switches on, it sends 12v to the 12v out, the camera then uses this power to realise the IR is on, and remove the IR filter in the lens. if your camera does not see the IR light then you will need to modify your camera...

I think there's a guy on Pirate that is having his buddy overseas ship them to him, so he can sell them. I don't think he's marking them up since he's not pimping a yellow star.