nDAlk90

The Future of Analog CCTV...

Analog TV is still limited by NTSC/PAL video standards... 960H notwithstanding, it has a finite area for growth. It'll stick around for a long time, I'm sure, because for the lowest-common-denominator factor.

In all seriousness, there is no "future" for analog.

What you see today is what you get. Those cameras may continue to sell, but there is nothing new coming.

No higher resolution cameras or recorders?

Any other opinions?

In all seriousness, there is no "future" for analog.

What you see today is what you get. Those cameras may continue to sell, but there is nothing new coming.

It will only continue to get better, more feature rich and cheaper.

Competition drives evolution.

Take your average DVR 2 years ago and put it beside todays popular DVRs - it is like day and night.

Developers will always come up with new ideas.

No higher resolution cameras or recorders?

Any other opinions?

Analog video is limited to 525/625 vertical lines (NTSC/PAL). Period, end of story. That's not an opinion, that's a simple fact of the video standards that were created in the '50s. To go beyond that would require that someone introduce a new analog video standard... and then get almost EVERYONE to adopt it, for it to become economically feasible for ANYONE to do it. Given that there are already two fully-digital standards currently in use, and others being developed, good luck getting anyone to even give a second glance at any attempt at a new analog standard.

As noted, some manufacturers are trying to get beyond D1's 704 horizontal pixels, up to 960, but that's just taking the same standard and sampling it differently, giving you maybe 30% higher resolution in one dimension. Vertical resolution has still hit a very old, very immovable wall. You could sample it at a higher rate, but the source itself would still be maxing out at that same limitation.

It will only continue to get better, more feature rich and cheaper.

And still run smack up against the same limitation in resolution. It's like taking a 1967 VW Beetle and slapping pinstripes and ground effects on it and a booming stereo in it... it may look and sound good, but underneath it all, it's still just a Beetle, and it's still going to take an hour to go from 0 to 60.

What about XGA (Extended Graphics Array) isn't that an analog video signal at 1024x768?

Analog video is limited to 525/625 vertical lines (NTSC/PAL).

In some ways analog is like the fax machine. You don't use it as much as you have in the past but you still need it because it is easier to use for an existing paper document rather than scan to a file and then email. Plus lots of people still have them. However in certain instances and more often each day email or texting is the preferred method. Cost will drive analog for a while as mom and pop may not want to spend the money to upgrade or don't/can't do the networking part. We have a customer with about 200 analog cameras installed all new installs are IP however when we are looking at outdoor PTZ cameras we may remain on analog as our hybred system allows that (using geovison at present)

What about XGA (Extended Graphics Array) isn't that an analog video signal at 1024x768?

Sure, you could use that... do you really WANT to run VGA cables between your camera and DVR? I mean, you could just use analog component video too, and get up to 1080p... heck, my old 21" Sony monitor did 2048x1536 over VGA cables... but the cost and logistics of cabling that will be a nightmare... AND either way, you'd have to convince both camera and DVR manufacturers that it's a viable way to go. Don't know if you could sell them on the idea of a camera with an HD-15 connector, or three BNCs...

Why cant you send a 2048x1536 over a BNC?

Sure, you could use that... do you really WANT to run VGA cables between your camera and DVR? I mean, you could just use analog component video too, and get up to 1080p... heck, my old 21" Sony monitor did 2048x1536 over VGA cables... but the cost and logistics of cabling that will be a nightmare... AND either way, you'd have to convince both camera and DVR manufacturers that it's a viable way to go. Don't know if you could sell them on the idea of a camera with an HD-15 connector, or three BNCs...

Why cant you send a 2048x1536 over a BNC?

Actually, the monitor in question does have FIVE BNC inputs... red, green, blue, plus horizontal and vertical sync. You have to use all five. A VGA cable has all the same signals in it.

The problem, once again, is that in order to run higher res over a single coax, you would need to design, perfect, and introduce an entirely new analog video standard, and then get manufacturers to buy in.

What we think the future will be of little significance in this industry, what counts is where innovation takes us.

I can't see analogue dying a death just yet and feel it will be around for a long time to come despite it's limitations.

Only necessity, which is the mother of invention, can drive the industry forward.

I got people asking me how to right click on a mouse, and you want them to use a PC to view and playback their cameras?? LOL.

Tell you what, when the cost of a compact stand alone NVR with a TV output comes down in price then perhaps I may discuss this.