mlevans

Power issue

Hi

I've bought an Apollo dvr hd and a boxed psu, when the video baluns are not connected the psu works fine, ie can be switched off, as soon as the baluns are connected either at the dvr or camera, the lights come on the psu and the camera power up.

This means that you can't turn the cameras off at the switch, you have to nplug it from the mains.

I've checked all the wiring and it looks ok, anyone hav any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Hi. you can only have a power supply problem as connecting baluns should not give you power problems.

it sounds like you have a neutral problem (connecting cameras is giving you the neutral) via dvr.

put a multimeter across pos and neg on power unit and see what you have

Hi and thanks for the reply, I disconnected the earth on the psu and everything's working ok now.

should have made no differance removing earth. ??? are your earth and neutral mixed up ??? if not replace your power supply earth is for safety dont run steel box power without it.

I'm guessing if I disconnect the earth from the dvr, it will reproduce the same fault, how can I find where this problem lies, as you say running the psu without an earth isn't really a good idea.

I've check the wiring for the plug and it's a standard 3 pin plug.

Thanks again

I'm guessing if I disconnect the earth from the dvr, it will reproduce the same fault, how can I find where this problem lies, as you say running the psu without an earth isn't really a good idea.

I've check the wiring for the plug and it's a standard 3 pin plug.

Thanks again

He's saying that if removing the earth clears up the problem, it's an indication of a far more serious wiring fault, either with the power supply, or very possibly with the wiring of that outlet or even the building. You should have an electrician check all of it.