Sign in to follow this  
softtoptel

pelco panning

Hi i have a problem with my pelco ptz outside dome,when i first set it all up with my avtech dvr it worked fine then come the evening it just kept paning around and around so i lost total control of the fuctions i couldnt get into the menu while the camera was moving.

the camera is new it has a heater built in ,i assumed as it got colder the heater kicked in and there was a power drain i was using a 24 vac supply as recomended ,i checked all the connections which seemed ok. i wondered if there is a reset sequence on the dip switchs inside the dome, i had used cat 5 twisted for power and video and control ,but tried power with 18g/2 wire but i still have no control any help would be much appreciated

hi. can you list your ptz to look at the spec ??? also when you wired your camera did you use a single pair of cat5 for your data or did you use a pair for R+ R- (many people do this and it can give problems)

can you give power used and distance your PTZ is from your dvr. also are you using onboard controls or a desktop controller.

Hi thanks for answering..it states on manual its a excelptz range ptz300 six inch standerd dome . but has pelco stamped on it ,its 22x zoom .

i used twisted pairs for data ,distamd about 30 ft from dvr which im using to control. i did test it all before i fixed dome to wall so it was very close to dvr .

i used twisted pairs for data

1 pair or 2 ???

also disconnect everything and see if it does its setup and then stops. with just being powered. you may have moved a sensor

Hi iv just tried what you said it just pans round and round no ups or downs ,i know what you mean by setup procedure its not doing that ...if i unplug it and repower it pans the other way. i used two wire on the plus and two on the right tnx

i used two wire on the plus and two on the right tnx

hi. you should just use 1 pair for data i.e green to r+ and green white to r- (1 wire to each)

but i dont think this is your problem. did you buy the camera from system q ??? or from somewere else.

you have home sensors on the ptz and it looks like they are not working may be faulty or need resetting

Hi iv just tried a 12v power supply and the camera does the proper procedure but i have no control this could be because it need 24v ,and i get strange readings from 24v supply which i bought new from cctv dealer ..what do you think ?

It could be low voltage when the heater kicks on. What length of 18/2 did you run for power?

I have seen Pelco Spectra PTZs do some strange things when the heaters come on but usually they just go blank. I had a client in Northern California who was using 18/2 to power a Spectra II located about 250 feet from the power supply. It worked fine during the day but shut off at night in the winter. Pelco's Wire Gauge Calculator says that for 60VA (Spectra II draw with heater "ON"), 12 gauge wire is required, whereas with the heater "OFF" (approx. 20VA), it might work with 18 gauge. Pelco Wire Gauge Calculator

Wire voltage drop could be the issue. If the power supplied is marginal, the action of running the motors (pan/tilt) could draw just enough current to cause a reboot.

Wire voltage drop could be the issue. If the power supplied is marginal, the action of running the motors (pan/tilt) could draw just enough current to cause a reboot.

I have this issue with a camera right now, actually. It's installed in a spot that requires a pretty large boom lift, so it can wait

I've also found that sometimes the control board in the back box is bad.