Numb-nuts

What training do I need to pursue?

I have been installing analogue CCTV for a while now, I am confident enough to start seeking my own work supplying and installing instead of sub contracting my time only. I need to learn about IP technology and I need to seek formal training so that I can learn about networking and IP systems.

I hear you all talking about bandwidth and Poe and other terms and while I have an inkling what you are talking about, I have to accept that I am not going to manage to fumble my way into this field of expertise. I hear you talking about NVR and management software and there are variations of that too.

What route regarding formal training should I follow? Your various advices would be appreciated very much.

I would start with learning the foundations of IP addressing - subnets, network masks, DHCP, port routing, etc. That will take care of 99% of your installation concerns.

From there you can move to more in-depth topics like QoS, VLAN, etc., as well as more general ethernet topics like layer 2 control, PoE, and so forth. Most of these things, you'll probably almost never need.

I have been installing analogue CCTV for a while now, I am confident enough to start seeking my own work supplying and installing instead of sub contracting my time only. I need to learn about IP technology and I need to seek formal training so that I can learn about networking and IP systems.

I hear you all talking about bandwidth and Poe and other terms and while I have an inkling what you are talking about, I have to accept that I am not going to manage to fumble my way into this field of expertise. I hear you talking about NVR and management software and there are variations of that too.

What route regarding formal training should I follow? Your various advices would be appreciated very much.

Start with Tavcom's CCTV over IP course. This can be taken as a BTEC award.

All my engineers have taken it and it gives the basis of networking and IP CCTV design.

The details can be seen online

Ilkie

Thanks guys, that two lots of very interesting advice. I wasn't sure if there were something else I should be studying before the Tavcom Courses but Tavcom had figured quite strongly in my future plans so that endorsement simply strengthens my direction.

Looks like Tavcom is strictly a brick-and-mortar school in the UK... do they offer any online courses? Anyone know of any similar online training? I got a couple co-workers who could really benefit from learning IP basics

Looks like Tavcom is strictly a brick-and-mortar school in the UK... do they offer any online courses? Anyone know of any similar online training? I got a couple co-workers who could really benefit from learning IP basics

They do now offer this course online see-

http://www.tavcom.com/usa/online-courses/ip-and-cctv-networking.html

Paul is the contact in the sales office who should be able to help as he developed the course

Regards

Ilkie

For more generic courses you can look into CompTIA Network+ or CISCO icnd1. Both cover essentially the same things, TCP/IP, OSI model, NAT, DHCP, IP addressing, routing and switching, subnetting, etc... basically everything Soundy recommended. Very good groundwork courses aimed at networking in general (zero focus on CCTV specifically), you should walk away from them with almost everything you need to know.

What they don't teach you, we should be able to explain.

Tavcom do offer several online courses since last year, which they launched at IFSEC 2011. They do have seminars running

at IFSEC each year, 2011 were booked solid weeks before the show. The general impression was that they were very good indeed. They do master courses leading to recognized qualifications. Obviously as everyone here that knows of Tavcom will know they are NOT cheap, but they are known for giving value training.

So far as I know, you do not have to be UK based to do their online courses. They apparently have online tutors available to assist where a student needs further clarification and assistance, there is also the option for telephone support.

Tavcom also supply a lot of hard to find tools-of-the-trade that are useful to installers that want to do more than simply plug n play. Case in point, collapsible focusing targets (NORMAN) for setting up focus and field of view.174045_1.jpg