Numb-nuts

What are those wire designations and what do they indicate?

When buying RG59 cable, I always notice that there are a few designations after such as RG59-B/U or A/U or C/U or U

Does anyone know where I can see what the differences between these are. I am sure they must have some significance that would refer to their composition, but what?

I have been trying very hard to buy at a good price an RG59 with a solid copper core. Most that I can find have a solid core but it turns out to be copper coated steel YUK. (Poor conductor and brittle)

I am not so concerned about the braid but it would be nice to have both with as much copper content as possible.

Typically, I can find this but it's about 5 times the price. This really irritates me, someone somewhere in the UK must sell good stuff at a reasonable price?

Are you looking for straight RG59 or 59 Siamese?

not sure myself regarding the letter code but I can tell you where I got my 500' roll for $89usd.

if that will help.

No I am just trying to understand the designations and what I am buying wether it be single coax or siamese cable.

I know that some suppliers quote CCA which is short for copper coated aluminium (aluminum) for the braid/shielding.

This would be acceptable if the center is solid copper and not copper coated steel

Do you know a good cheap supplier in the UK?

The US military named "RG-59/u". The R stands for "Radio Frequency" because it's meant for transporting RF signals, the G stands for "Government", 59 was just a sequential number with no meaning behind it other than there are 58 other coax cable specifications before it (like RG-6), and the "/U" just means universal specification.

Put it all together and you have the common name RG-59/u which today has no real meaning behind it, just the common name for a common cable manufactured to a common specification (it's no longer tied to the US military).

The A/B/C means there is an updated or modified specification the cable was manufactured too, so RG-59c/u was manufactured to a newer spec than RG-59a/u.

None of it's important for us, just find RG-59x/xx and you'll be fine. It's all coax, it all terminates the same, it'll all work for cctv. Most people seem to drop the "u" at end nowadays too.

The US military named "RG-59/u". The R stands for "Radio Frequency" because it's meant for transporting RF signals, the G stands for "Government", 59 was just a sequential number with no meaning behind it other than there are 58 other coax cable specifications before it (like RG-6), and the "/U" just means universal specification.

Put it all together and you have the common name RG-59/u which today has no real meaning behind it, just the common name for a common cable manufactured to a common specification (it's no longer tied to the US military).

Sure it is - it's still got that silly, obviously-military-inspired name

Well there's always that.

Just because it's labeled RG-59/u doesn't mean it's manufactured to military specs anymore though. I'm sure they have an all new longer, equally archaic name for whatever cable they designate as RG-59/u which they have a specification for manufacturing.

The steel core is usually a CATV variety. While the solid copper core tends to be a "precision" cable that is designed for higher bandwidth applications such as HD-SDI. Typically 1.5 or 3.0 Gb/s. SMPTE 292 and 424.

Probably overkill for analog video. There is a great deal of information on the Belden site.

http://www.belden.com

Belden and Gepco are thought to be the standard in Broadcast, but they are not cheap.