Sign in to follow this  
SectorSecurity

Multiplexer Question

The main reason they are used for is to record multiple cameras on one tape. You use it in conjunction with a VCR. That is what people used before DVR's came on the scene. They can also be used for the simple purpose of showing multiple cameras up on one screen at a time for monitoring purposes.

Thanks SEANHAWG, now i understand what they are used for, didnt think they had much use with modern day DVR's, however If I get one for the right price I have some cool ideas as to what I can use some for, gonna check out your store!

before multichannel DVRs became more popular (and cheaper) I used them for a few years along with single channel DVRs. Was also alot cheaper than buying the multichannel DVRs at the time. Prior to that I only used them for a short time with VCRs and yeah that was hell trying to locate evidence. They still have their use in some rare cases today, eg. if you want to split out a bunch of cameras from a DVR that has no loop out, to another monitor. Although the live video is not generally real time on a multiplexer. Due to the cost of them vs a dvr it makes little sense to use them these days in most cases.