MFallJr

Multiplexer Question

Hey guys new to the forum... is there a way to splice multiple video feeds onto a screen (26 inch screen) without the use of a multiplexer device? Currently my CCTV system has individual camera feeds into 9 inch monitors and I would like to eliminate them by adding a few 26 inch screens. Thanks in advance.

You mean like this?

multiplexer20cctv20colour20920image20scr-1.jpg

You could do it with a DVR, but if all you're doing is viewing the cameras, not recording, then a multiplexer is by far the simplest and probably cheapest way to go. You don't need anything super-fancy like "pentaplex" and so on, just a basic 9-channel duplex or triplex mux will do.

A DVR is out of the question/budget. I currently have only one multiplexer to spare I didn't know if there was like a RGB connection for the TV with cables that splice off into BNC connections if that makes any sense?

Most times, you'd use a BNC to RCA adapter - either one of these with an RCA-to-RCA cable:

21Lp6O2C2PL_SL500_AA300_-1.jpg

avcables-1.jpg

...or one of these with a BNC-to-BNC cable:

image.php?type=P&id=10024

BNCCable-1.jpg

Then connect it to one of the A/V inputs on the TV (yellow RCA jack, usually).

Ok so I have 3 RV2216-30 Multiplexers. The plan is to use these to eliminate all of my 9" monitors and replace them with 3, 26" screens. I work in a retail store and will be store using televisions for this project. Unfortunately the Multiplexers I was able to aquire from other stores did not come with power supplies or cabling to connect to the screens. I tried google but does anyone know where I can order these parts from? It looks like a 12V power supply and I am unsure what kind of cabling I will need to hook up to a TV. Thanks.

A good bet for power supplies is ebay. I usually buy ones rated for higher current than needed, as many of the Chinese supplies will fail in a few years if run too close to their spec.

The manual shows this:

18 Watts (center positive 12 VDC), 2.1 mm pin-type female. If this is the standard 2.1x5.5mm connector that's a de facto standard on CCTV gear, there will be lots of them out there.

So, a 12V, 2A (24W) supply would be a good bet. If you can find one with the right connector, so much the better, or you can connect up the right plug yourself.

All the cables look pretty standard - RJ11, DB37, BNC, S-video. Most of these can be bought from someone like monoprice.com. I usually don't trust ebay for inexpensive cables unless I'm familiar with the vendor selling them, as you can get some real junk there.

http://www.mini-box.com/24w-12v-2A-AC-DC-Power-Adapter

Think that would do the trick? I really appreciate the help. I bought a power supply from radio shack the other day and it did not work, I tried the power supply from another multiplexer and it worked fine. I spent 3 hours yesterday disconnecting and removing 9" monitors only to have the power not work. Needless to say I was not happy. Thanks again!

I work in a retail store and will be store using televisions for this project.

can i ask why you are going though so much expence installing new TVs for a store and the expence of running feeds to all your TVs and not have the ability to record. ???

Nothing I am doing is really at a cost other than the power supplies. I already had/have the multiplexers and am trying to eliminate all the 9" monitors stacked on top of one another in my camera room. I have run out of space to add cameras to my store because I have nowhere to connect the feed too. That being said I do have a PC DVR that 16 cameras record on 24/7 and the multiplexers will be recording onto a VCR on a 6 hour loop (antiquated I know). I am trying to make the best of a situation I have been handed. Eliminating the 9"'s will free up alot of space in the camera room and adding 16 channel multiplexers will also allow for the ability to add additional cameras.

Just now realized you were referring to the televisions. My team has recovered well over 30k in merchandise in the past 11 months my SGM is ok with me grabbing a couple $230 TV's and store using them.

i was just adding up the costs of what you was doing. with so many multiplexers and dvrs and vcrs would it not just be cost effective to just install a budget 32 way dvr. it cuts down on monitors cables and office space

All the equipment (minus the televisions) are existing equipment that were not being utilized. Prior to me getting this store it was ALL running off of VHS recordings. I updated it to the 16 camera PC DVR. I do not have the capability of asking for/purchasing another DVR as it all needs to be approved through corporate. The retail company I work for does not dish out a lot of money for CCTV equipment so I figured with what I had I could make something a little bit better. With the 9" monitors gone I will have more space, the capability to add/run more cameras and be able to trade the monitors with another store for other equipment if needed. I am pretty much a self taugh CCTV tech for lack of a better term so when it comes down to the details of things I always have questions so I can learn more. Thats what is great about this forum. Once I figure out this power supply issue my system will be far greater advanced that it was when I first arrived. I hope that answers your question!

according to the manual you need a center positive source of 12vdc at 1.5 amps. the connector is a 2.1mm pin-type female.

pretty standard for cctv cameras.

Something like this should work:

http://www.nellyssurplus.com/servlet/the-1550/12V-DC-5-AMP/Detail

however, I don't see the plug size specifically listed on the site so ask SEANHAWG (send him a PM or call the store) before you order 3. Google will turn up some results too. Specifically you're looking for 12vdc, at least 1.5 amps or 1500ma's (can be more), and a 2.1mm center positive source jack, and most will say they work on most cctv cameras.

Radioshack probably has something that will work if you get the right adapter plug for their enercell ac adapters.

I find they very rarely know what size the connecters are so you will need to search under CCTV and then you are likely to find one with the right size connector but thats right it is usually a 2.1mm x 12mm DC connector.

If I need a PSU from ebay I always get at lest double the power rating I require. They aren't then working at close to maximum and can last a while longer as has been advised already.

Nowadays I prefer to buy 5 Amp line PSU from my main supplier they are double those on ebay but so reliable.

I would say who I mean 'cept I probably get the link removed so I won't say here, but they do have a good

internet presence.