iggy

finally making a buy

Okay, like many, I have spent quite a bit of time lurking on this forum before making my purchases. I believe I will be buying the following:

geovision GV-800-4

geovision real time display card

2 bullet cameras (exterior)

2 dome cameras (exteriro)

I'm not sure of the cameras but I'm thinking I can get by with less than $200 each for the domes and $100 each for the bullets. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I wasn't sure what the difference was between the GV-650-4 and GV-800-4 cards. It is my understanding it is only the FPS. I will only have 4 cameras, what should be the one for me?

I'm also not certain of the cables and power supply's I need. I took a look at cctvspecialty's kits and apparently one should get a multiple outlet power supply. I'm not sure what that is. I would imagine it is a box I run all my power cables to and then plug in from there. Is this correct?

Do I go with the siamese cables and what power supply (box) and connectors should I order?

In short what should be my shopping list additions if I am going with the 2 cards and 4 cameras listed above?

You can eliminate the DSP (real-time) card from your system. It is designed for 8 or 16 channel units and will not be needed to achieve real time display and recording if you choose the GV-800-4 over the GV-650-4.

The GV-800-4 will offer you 120FPS (30 per channel), when the GV-650-4 will limit you to 60FPS (or 15FPS per channel).

The rest looks doable. Goodluck with everything.

scottj

Only thing the DSP will give you if you need it, is real time fixed multi view RCA output which is high quality. If not using that then yep you dont need it, or can add it at any time.

For a power supply make sure you get an Altronix or a Pthree, higher grade products, not much more than the OEMs but alot better.

What brand cameras were you looking at?

The Power Supply will depend on what cameras you use and what current they draw, the power supplies (at least the good ones) give you a choice of Amp sizes.

The Power supply goes near the DVR, wall mounted, run all the cables from the cameras back to the DVR (or vice versa), with Siamese Cable, split off the power wires for each and those go into the DVR box, best to label them for troubleshooting also.

Get the Siamese that has dual jackets, one for the power and 1 for the video, but joined together. This is better than just the all in one jacket cable, as at the DVR end it is safer when splitting the Power Cables off from the video cable, as then each power cable has its own jacket.

Rory

I was under the impression the DSP (real-time) card is what allowed you to view the images to the T.V.s video in/out. Can I hook up the GV-800-4 to the T.V.s video in/out without the DSP card?

As for cameras, everytime I think I have the selection down I get side tracked. I'm just not sure anymore. I know I need 2 dome cameras and 2 bullet cameras. Both for the exterior. There is a street light directly over my building so at night there is some light. (it's a street light so it's not great light but it does offer some light)

Any suggestions on the cameras? I would like to stay as close to my budget as possible. Perhaps upgrade cameras as needed. I was looking at $100 each for the bullet cameras and $150 each for the Dome cameras. Is this possible?

Here is a list of items cctvspecialty.com's support sent me.

Heere is what you need:

GV-800-4

SPE-70 bullet camera

SPE-3203Cexterior dome

500' RG59 or 100ft plug and play

bnc converters

dc9 powerbox

If I don't need the DSP card to view the images on the T.V.'s video in/out then I could go with a little better cameras. I believe the DSP card was $300

I've always had good success with Pelco's ICS090 CR3's HighRes smoked dome with a fixed 2.9mm lens. very easy to install and i havent had one break on me yet.. ive put them in hotels and hospitals and some industrial with good success in florescent light - the run me well under $200

good luck

paul

just realized i overlooked the fact that you are looking for dome exterior so the pelco i recommended is only an indoor.

i dont know where you are installing but here in chicago, bullets and domes have a tough time making it through the winter.. for outdoor i usually go with toshibas d/n in a heater/blower outdoor housing

So I finally have the system up and Rory (and the forum in general) was/are right, cheap cams give cheap pics. I ended switching out cameras 3 or 4 times before settling on what I have.(but now I know what I need to get that perfect picture)

The geovision card works great. The DSP card addition is just as impressive. However, when I split the output so I can see it on 2 different TVs I start getting some horizontal line distortions. Perhaps I need a special splitter or somthing.

Overall, the geovision card is working quite nicely. All the different configs allow for a very personalized setup. The email and web server are very nice as well. Real easy to get working...this is coming from a first timer.