TiggyHAR

An idiot's woes!

Ummm... kind of?

If you want to have the feed actually come up on *TV channel*, you'll need a modulator before the splitter.

Otherwise, you need a different type of splitter (not a CATV splitter) and run the lines to an A/V input on each TV.

sorry for the missing specs of my diagram.

1. i'll be using CAT5e/CAT6 4pair UTP cables from the camera to the DVR.

2. 14" PC monitors with VGA or DVI

3. 4 channel AVtech DVR

4. Passive Baluns

i want to view only one camera per monitor but i also want to use only one DVR. can the signal coming from the DVR vga output be split to each monitor?

Well, if you're going w/ 4 screens for 4 channels....

You could put a 1-to-2 RCA splitter at the cams bnc input at the dvr..... using rca to bnc adapter....

SO then, if signal is good, you have a live split going to each monitor...

As you're buying 4 screens, just buy 5 so you have one to hook up to the vga for controlling....

Just a thought from another idiot

3. 4 channel AVtech DVR

4. Passive Baluns

Types of baluns and camera connections aren't relevant to the plan (at least as you've drawn it)... only the signal coming out of the DVR.

i want to view only one camera per monitor but i also want to use only one DVR. can the signal coming from the DVR vga output be split to each monitor?

Yes, but both monitors will get the same display.

Other options are to use a spot output (if the DVR has it) to feed the second monitor a different view... or as Paulson suggests, just split the camera's feed out to the TV (although that won't allow you to change which camera you're viewing).

thanks for the prompt replies, i appreciate it very much!!

so it can't be done...are there really no other options besides going IP based?

If the monitors are VGA/DVI only (no composite), your only real option to selectively display different cameras on each one would be a second DVR, and split the cameras to feed them to both, then connect one monitor to each (or ideally, if the DVR has passthrough inputs, chain a second DVR to those, but you haven't specified what model it is, so I can't say if that's possible).

There's no EASY/CHEAP way to do it with IP either...

3. 4 channel AVtech DVR

4. Passive Baluns

you will need either:

1-loop out on the DVR, to a single Composite to VGA Adapter/Cat5-VGA etc. for each channel.

2-T-Connector for each channel - could experience ground issues though. Anyway then it would go to the same as #1.