gulfstreme

Cameras that work with PIR sensors?

Is there an outdoor day/night camera with a PIR ( Passive Infrared ) sensor that can email a pic/vid on movement. And can be viewed remotely by smartphone. And maybe turn on a light, and make a chime.

You'll *probably* find that you are better served with a camera that has an alarm or contact-closure input, along with the features you described. There are actually many options.

Then, select an appropriate PIR sensor, and place it accordingly. In many cases the optimal camera and PIR locations are not the same, so you end up compromising one or the other.

Keep in mind too that for outdoor scenarios this approach can be highly prone to false alarms, especially as you try to aim for longer/larger detection areas.

In many cases the optimal camera and PIR locations are not the same, so you end up compromising one or the other.

Keep in mind too that for outdoor scenarios this approach can be highly prone to false alarms, especially as you try to aim for longer/larger detection areas.

As an alternative to PIRs (Duals, Redwalls etc), it may be possible to use a photoelectric sensor such as the Sunx NX5 long range thru-beam sensor. Aimed across any wide access point; corridor; driveway or yard, it would provide a very reliable optional method for activating a camera.

Some of the Mobotix stuff does that out-of-the-box.

But as another poster pointed out, sometimes you want the PIR to be separated from the camera for optimal function. In that case, you can attach the PIR to an I/O port on the camera, and have it email you when triggered.

Beats the hell out of video motion detection when it comes to false alerts too.

Anybody have experience setting up such a system? What did you use? I understand video motion detection is basically worthless outside so I'm looking for a solution. A separate PIR sensor would be fine I just don't know what I need to get it set up.

I'm thinking I need a good day/night camera with IR cut filter, a dvr and a (Optex?) PIR sensor. Will I need some type of alarm system like a DSC to make this work?

Anybody have experience setting up such a system? What did you use? I understand video motion detection is basically worthless outside so I'm looking for a solution. A separate PIR sensor would be fine I just don't know what I need to get it set up.

I'm thinking I need a good day/night camera with IR cut filter, a dvr and a (Optex?) PIR sensor. Will I need some type of alarm system like a DSC to make this work?

You have the right list of equipment, no alarm system needed. The Optex PIR needs some power (10-13V DC) and a pair of wires to connect to the IO ports on the DVR or (optionally) on the camera, so you run a 4 wire set to the PIR. Most IO units have the option to be "normally opened" or "normally closed" and then the DVR usually will have the same options for its input from the PIR. You just have to set both ends to the same value. On the Optex PIRs, this is based on which connector you use inside the unit.