plokm

video server selection

Dear all,

In order to keep existing analog cameras and connect it with IP based surveillance system, I am testing several video servers recently (Axis 241Q/Plustek VS540i/VIVOTEK VS8401),I make some comparison between them, please see the attached comparison table..

I prefer Plustek and VIVOTEK now because the “local storage” and TV out function, and but still have some questions:

1.For the local storage with SD card, is the SD card for video storage or just for recording event log(the capacity of the SD card is very limited)?

2.Is the TV out function compatible with all kind of TV/monitor?

Thank you very much!

Plokm

comparision.jpg.7a0191da9276bcbfacd068d03c3744d3.jpg

For what it's worth, I've used a lot of Axis 241q's and have never had an issue with them.

I can't find any information on Plustek, their site says "coming soon"... as a rule I try to stay away from being the guinea pig for new products unless they have a feature I absolutely need.

The vivotek records video on the SD card. You can set it up to start recording when the network fails, on motion, periodically, etc.

I've been using 241Q's since they were first introduced and am yet to have a problem with one. I've never had to send one in for repair or even do any kind of hardcore troubleshooting, they just work. Vivotek on the other hand I've had terrible experiences with and I try to avoid them unless a customer specifically request a cheap solution. I've never used Plustek but I wouldn't use a product that doesn't have some kind of local rep or support.

If on board storage is important I would recommend the Axis M7014 or P7214 http://www.axis.com/products/video/video_server/index.htm. I've put in a couple of these recently for customers who didn't want to invest in an NVR. They work great, record video to the SD card and can be configured in a similar manner to standard NVR software (record on motion or events, email notifications, etc.)

Colin

http://www.zeecure.com