G099521

Reset DVR; now only black/white display

New to forum and searched. Hope ya'll can help me out...

Bought a cheapo 8-CH standalone DVR last year and installed a HD. The 500GB drive I installed was bad, so I replaced last week w/a 300GB spare I had. Still did not seem to be recording, tho I am sure the replacement used drive is good. I went and "reset things to default" and now the display (cable out to my 61" TV) is only black/white and extends beyond the bottom of the screen.

Have gone through all menus and even to a different input on the TV, but still not color and does not seem to be recording.

Any "duh" things I am missing (other than having bought a cheapo DVR)?

DVR Specs... 8-CH H.264, etc, etc... Model # DVR 9218LV3, with only 4 cameras installed/connected.

Basically, am in a "safe" neighborhood and use the outside cameras as a deterrent. The 4-ch DVR I replaced was fine ('cept) for the bad drive), but I have since disposed of it. Am putting the house up for sale soon and would like to use a s a selling point, as well as turn over a working system (without investing much more).

Thanks in advance!

-Elvis

Do the cameras have a movable IR filter? They may need resetting. Try covering the lens with your hand for 10 seconds or so, trying to block out all light. Then move your hand. You may hear clicking from the filter moving as you do these steps. The filters getting stuck is a common issue with lower end cameras after a power outage.