eikido

Why are analog systems still considered for new setups? A<D

I'm about to setup a surveillance system for my brothers shop, and i'd like to know why more or less analog (~520tvl) cameras are still present when we have digital IP systems today.

Isn't the digital system (IP) with ethernet/wifi superior? I compared 1 MP cameras with normal 600 TVL systems, and the IP based seems to win all rounds. Still, analog systems are still very present.

Regards

Eikido

no problems with using analog but i would say you cant compare 1mp with some of the analogs out today.

if going above 1.3mp then yes go IP but it all depends on the area you are covering and your budget .

going analog with the new dual core dahua will give you just the same as a 1mp ip system.

going analog with the new dual core dahua will give you just the same as a 1mp ip system.

How do u compare ?

plz explain

How do u compare ?

plz explain

just cost wise on 1mp its just not worth the extra costs.

Analog systems are still popular due to the low price and ease of use, but it all depends on how many cams and what your resolution needs are.

Looking at the extremes, a single analog cam, DVR, and hard drive ends up being relatively expensive in cost per cam, and you could get a single 1MP IP cam for less with better quality, and record to an existing PC or laptop. Bumping to 8 cams, the per-cam cost is a lot lower for analog compared to the same IP cam setup, and you're more likely to need dedicated NVR hardware to handle the load (depending on the NVR).

Also, analog cams and dedicated DVRs are a lot easier to set up and record than IP systems, especially for people who aren't PC/network literate, and tend to be more reliable in my experience.

I'm a big fan of IP myself and am converting over after many years of dedicated analog systems, but when a friend asks for a starter 4-8 cam recommendation, it's pretty hard to justify IP cams, unless they have a healthy budget.

For business use, the improvement in quality with IP outweighs the relatively small cost savings of analog, IMO.