goranvolvo

Surveillance DVR recording quality Q

I have really cheap surveillance system cameras and DVR the camera is 320 TVL so I got one 700 TLV camera and not happy with the picture I get

If I hook up the camera to TV monitor the picture is excellent but when I view it over DVR there is almost no difference between 320 TVL and 700 TVL picture

Dose someone know is the DVR problem, what is the good dvr

You DVR probably only records at CIF resolution, or 352x240 pixels... so yeah, you're not going to see much difference, if any, with a camera over 240 lines.

There are lots of "good" DVRs - the question is, how many channels do you need, what sort of features do you want, and how much are you prepared to spend?

I have really cheap surveillance system cameras and DVR the camera is 320 TVL so I got one 700 TLV camera and not happy with the picture I get

If I hook up the camera to TV monitor the picture is excellent but when I view it over DVR there is almost no difference between 320 TVL and 700 TVL picture

Dose someone know is the DVR problem, what is the good dvr

Which 700 tvl camera do you have?

If you get great quality with a direct connection to a monitor but the DVR quality looks like crap, then it is time for a new DVR if you know for certain you have it set to the best it can be. Many of the Qsee and other common consumer DVR's are actually quite limited and you will find alot of them out there can only do 320x240 when it comes to trying to record at real time. I have even seen some retail stores using pitiful resolution like that. If you have a setup like that, then 320TVL will give you more than what it can actually record. You will not see much difference with 700TVL. Honestly, 700TVL is an overkill on analog anyway, you really want to look at the optics of the cameras as well as features like AWB and etc and you will find that a camera capable of 600TVL will be more than adequate for the task at hand.

Greetings, just came across this forum and joined for a similar reason as the original poster. I'm assuming i will get a similar answer, but i have an 8 Channel mediocre dvr i got off ebay. All and all i'm pretty happy with it, no major problems. I can only currently set 2 channels at D1 resolution, and the other 6 at CIF. Now i'm not so concerned about the recording quality, just internet viewing. When i view over the internet or smart phone Channels 1 & 2 are absolutely stunningly perfect. The other 6 are only so-so. Ive done the same by buying a better camera or 2 but no improvement. I am assuming that is the best i will get with the DVR, and since i am not so interested in a $500 dvr at this point do i have any other options? Iv'e looked everywhere on the net and i really can't find anything equating the "recording resolution" with the resolution you get when viewing over the internet. Are these identical issues? Are 8 channels at D1 using too much bandwidth to stream? Is a "FULL D1" dvr my only option if my main goal is to just view all channels at higher resolution? Thanks for any answers, Kevin

do i have any other options?

No

Iv'e looked everywhere on the net and i really can't find anything equating the "recording resolution" with the resolution you get when viewing over the internet. Are these identical issues?

Most analog DVRs do not send a full resolution remotely. Its normal. You need a HD camera for a better picture.

Are 8 channels at D1 using too much bandwidth to stream? Is a "FULL D1" dvr my only option if my main goal is to just view all channels at higher resolution? It is not too much bandwidth. Full D1 is usually a realtime visual quality feed but can also be a recorded on some DVRs. The resolution of D1 in todays standards is very poor. My best example of D1 is like a classic gameboy resolution on a 50 inch HD TV.

Conclusion: your stuck with that setup.

Are 8 channels at D1 using too much bandwidth to stream? Is a "FULL D1" dvr my only option if my main goal is to just view all channels at higher resolution? Thanks for any answers, Kevin

A good full D1 dvr will give you that option per channel, but will also give you other options per channel such as HD1 [half D1] which is better than CIF, and CIF as well. Whether you can stream eight channels of D1 at highest bit/frame rate depends on your internet speed. But a good dvr will let you allocate per channel and balance it all out if you need to. If you want the most our of analog, you'll need to upgrade the dvr to full D1.

Thank you both HDSecurityStore and shockwave199. You have both given me the answers i was looking for. Will try and improve my system as $$ permits. Thanks again