ibex10

Custom Enclosure/Housing?

First off, although I recently discovered this forum, I enjoy reading it and have learned a great deal - thanks!

I have searched the net for a camera that I could install next to the front door in my house - a camera which is non-intrusive and works well with the architecture/design of the house but I haven't come accross the right one yet. There are many nice domes I've seen but I prefer a small square or a rectangle form-factor better for this application. I'm thinking of perhaps getting a custom enclosure built - is such a thing possible? If so, would someone like to recommend a company? During my searches, I've come accross franz-video (I haven't spoke to them yet to see if they could do it) but I'm looking for someone in Canada/US.

If someone has ecommendation for camera, plese feel free to suggest. Perhaps I just haven't looked as much as I should have. One camera form factor that I like is Vivotek IP7133 but it indoor only. Or perhaps there are some mobile or mini domes that are not so in-you-face that I should consider?

Thanks for any suggestions/tips/thoughts...

How about something like this? http://cnbusa.com/en/html/product/product.php?seqx_prod=1198

184451_1.jpg

Designed for corner or surface mounting, vandal-resistant, 85x85mm (about 3-1/3", same size as the Vivotek, although thicker at 65mm), uses the Monalisa chip for great low-light performance... doesn't say so on the site, but I've seen it listed elsewhere as being an "outdoor" enclosure (should have no problems if it's mounted up udner the eaves).

There are also lots of small vandal-resistant corner enclosures out there that can fit a board camera.

Thank you Matt.

The VDL-20S is an interesting option that I had not thought of before. CNB doesn't list operating temperature on their site but I assume it can work in Canadian winters?

Depends where in Canada, I suppose... Vancouver's been pretty mild this year Iqualuit, not so much

I would expect it to be fine, anyway... cameras generate a fair bit of their own heat, and a sealed enclosure like that will keep most of it inside.

Thanks again.

Toronto hasn't been that bad this year either... I just hope its not the sign of times to come - I like my winters!