Hamid

Video Distortion Because of Power Supply

Hi Everyone

I have installed fourteen 12VDC Day/Night cameras using cat5 cable. I am getting video distortion when I use 12 VDC 40 Amp power supply. This distortion comes even if only one camera is connected. I have changed power supply with other 12 VDC 30 Amp but still getting same problem. Where as video is perfectly good, when I provide power to each camera from individual 12 VDC 2 Amp (domestic mobile phone charger type) power supply. Any help or suggestion regarding this issue will be highly appreciated. Thank you

Hi Everyone

I have installed fourteen 12VDC Day/Night cameras using cat5 cable. I am getting video distortion when I use 12 VDC 40 Amp power supply. This distortion comes even if only one camera is connected. I have changed power supply with other 12 VDC 30 Amp but still getting same problem. Where as video is perfectly good, when I provide power to each camera from individual 12 VDC 2 Amp (domestic mobile phone charger type) power supply. Any help or suggestion regarding this issue will be highly appreciated. Thank you

your probably experiencing ground loop where the earth path to dvr and the current flowing from the cameras negative is on the screen of the coax. thus creating a earth path to dvr. if it is an earthed type psu ie metal boxed type, is there any way of you temporary disconnecting the earth to confirm this. dont leave the earth disconnected only for testing purposes.

I have installed fourteen 12VDC Day/Night cameras using cat5 cable.

hi. first can you list how you have wired each camera ....... have you gone direct or have you used baluns.

how far are your cameras and how many pairs have you used for video and power

The amperage of the transformer might be too much.

There's no such thing. A load device will draw only as much current as it needs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm's_law

Correct. Having said that, you might want to put fuses on the individual CAT5 runs. If you get a short on one of those cameras, an unprotected 40 amp supply is going to incinerate your cable...