akelley

Axis Edge Recording versus Mobotix

Anyone have experience with Axis edge recording (on camera recording) as well as Mobotix, and can give a fair comparison between the two? I've had some hands on experience with Mobotix and they are quite good, but the software MxCC can be complicated (though, recent versions have gotten better and for small sites, the MxEasy can be used). I have no hands on experience with Axis edge recording, but from the online demos and initial research, it seems to me not up to the same level of Mobotix. I've always been impressed with Axis image quality and general build of their cameras, andfor smaller installations, edge recording certainly has its advantages. So I'm curious to see how the two compare.

I was just playing with the Axis Companion a few days ago. Super easy to set up, had a few cameras going to a NAS in under a minute or two.

Only works with certain of their cameras, but seemed to work pretty well.

Maybe still a little buggy though, when I changed the setting for the P3346 from 16:9 to 4:3 it froze up the camera repeatedly and I had to unplug to get it responding again. Worked fine with P1344 also. Does audio flawlessly over the viewer.

I just wanted to try it, as it seemed kind of neat or as a possible backup to Axis Camera Station.

I could see the appeal though, as one would not need a computer for recording (and it is free). I have no experience with Mobotix, did not like to be tied to their format to get a decent framerate (aside from the cameras being pretty ugly for domestic use).

If you whant workable solution with edge recording play with bosch ip cameras nbc-255 and nbc-265 and so on this is advantage line cameras. You will get free viewer for live and recorded on sd cards video. cameras has very good quality integrated mic with noice supressor.

i whant to say companies like mobotix and axis claim the technology which are comon in professional security world and brands. bosch has it from 2005.

My question is how many ports do you have to open for remote access? Since your connecting directly to the camera I am assuming you will need to forward at least one port per camera which can be a PITA.

i whant to say companies like mobotix and axis claim the technology which are comon in professional security world and brands. bosch has it from 2005.

LOL Mobotix has been doing this since 1999

Link to prove... just type www.vcs.com and you will redirect to bosch....

also that company provide in the past oem service for pelco before it was bought by bosch.

First ip cameras (netcam series) was with integrated HDD or was used INTERNAL FLASH for local recording. And they was quite big and hot. it was cool when you have ethernet 10 mbps! Network was not so reliable as now. from that time was implemented technologies like Automatic network replanishment (video simultenuesly recorded at central nvr and local storage when connection with central archive lost and then apear the video from lockal storage of camera downloaded to central storage automaticaly to fill the gap).

Also at that time was fish eye cameras as well. but price was not acceptable to the market (10 000 usd per fisheye system camera + pc with standart resolution)

It was a lot time ago)))

This is not correct, even in 2012 Bosch do not offer full VMS in the camera. With Bosch you are required to record to iSCSI disk arrays, which are very expensive, and even for direct-to-iSCSI installations, Bosch always recommends a VMR or NVR - just like 90% of camera vendors. With MOBOTIX each camera is a DVR, so it can create its own recording database, meaning you can record direct to any standard media (DA/NAS/DS).

This is not correct, even in 2012 Bosch do not offer full VMS in the camera. With Bosch you are required to record to iSCSI disk arrays, which are very expensive, and even for direct-to-iSCSI installations, Bosch always recommends a VMR or NVR - just like 90% of camera vendors. With MOBOTIX each camera is a DVR, so it can create its own recording database, meaning you can record direct to any standard media (DA/NAS/DS).

How you may claim something if you do not know Bosch system constraction possibilities?

Bosch system has ability to work without VRM - Video Recording Manager (I gues you mean it typing VMR or NVR). But VRM is not NVR at all. Straming video do not goes through VRM server. VRM write to IP camera's Flash ROM ways to 128 LUN's (each LUN has 1 GB size) for recording acording to availiability of thouse LUN's in iSCSI disc arrays, scheduling, balancing, redundancy. - all that done automatically.

With out VRM in the system you should manually indicate to which LUN of iSCSI storage to record (Microsoft iSCSI,Open-e, and so on SW iscsi sollutions)

http://resource.boschsecurity.com/software/Software_Bosch_Video_Client_v1.3_all_18014399722702347.zip

This is SW Bosch Video Client - which you may use to whatch live and recorded video from SDXC (up to 2TB cards) or iSCSI array.

Bosch system has ability to work without VRM - Video Recording Manager (I gues you mean it typing VMR or NVR). But VRM is not NVR at all.

I understand that VRM manages traffic for the purposes of storage management. I mentioned VRM in the context of NVR, as Bosch charge a license fee for VRM. You don't have any licensing fees with MOBOTIX.

The central storage management feature applied by VRM, to prevent storage overwriting etc, is already built into the MOBOTIX camera. I believe the load balancing can and should be handled by the storage unit without additional cost applied by the camera vendor. Most quality storage devices will offer this as standard. MOBOTIX don't peddle iSCSI or any other defined storage platform, as the cameras can direct-record to any and all standard digital storage media.