LittleScoobyMaster

New House - Avoid Damaging During CCTV Install

Just curious how most people avoid causing permanent damage to new homes when running cabling for outdoor PTZ cameras. (or any outdoor camera's, IR, etc.)

I know some cameras can use POE with only 1 hole required on the outside facia of a home for the cable, but then there is the mounting hardware that usually reauires 3 to 4 screws or more, etc. And what if you mess up and have to drill more holes?

I'm trying to figure out the placement for an outdoor PTZ camera on my home but I am the type of person that hates drilling holes in nice siding, or roofing, etc. I don't even like making new holes to hang photographs in the house. I many times just use the existing nail holes from the previous homeowner, if the arrangement looks good. (I know, probably an OCD personality disorder of some kind.)

I sometimes think the only way I'm going to get a nice PTZ outside would be to use the same hole that the cable providers made in the house, because I am that paranoid of drilling new holes in the house. Is that just crazy? Or are others out there that hate drilling holes in homes for running surveillance gear?

Do they make some sort of brackets that do not require screws but can hang on houses using some other sort of weight distribution?

With CCTV camera's, many times if you upgrade, etc., you might be forced to make new holes cause the old hardware brackets woudn't line up just right.

Make up a nice (thick) timber base. Cut to whatever shape pleases you (oval , circle etc) sand it stain/paint it then attatch that to the house. This will give you a replaceable mounting base for whatever camera bracket you like. If it ever has to be replaced just make a new one & use the same screw holes to attatch it

Your first hole through the wall is the toughest. It gets easier after that.

If there are old plugged holes from cable or phones, you can try them. I wouldn't use any existing hole with service wire in it already though. I avoided popping holes through exterior walls by first bringing my lines up into the attic from an upstairs bedroom closet ceiling and then running them out through attic vent windows on either side of the house- tacing the lines to the facia. But I did have to drill into two spots on the siding for camera installs and it wasn't easy to do mentally. It's small screw holes but still, once the siding has holes, it has holes. And I'm due to make four more for a ptz install. Just plan your placement REALLY well, choose the right camera, and install once. If you have to, tape up a camera and see how the fov looks before drilling. When planning for this ptz placement I'm doing, I took over an hour deciding where the best place to install it will be. I went back and forth over the pros and cons between three spots, considering where the best spot is for the camera and where the best spot is so it's not too obtrusive to the look of the house. Plan really well, get the cameras you really want, do it all once, and you'll avoid a bunch of wasted holes everywhere. Good luck.