securolo

Monitoring without cables (WiFi LCD)

Hey there everyone,

We are currently installing 4 camera's on a 4ch silent dvr. We chose for a silent DVR because it will be placed in a closet in the bedroom (upstairs). There is a screen in the bedroom connected with BNC. However, we want to place an additional LCD screen in the dining room (downstairs) without cables which can view the camera's by logging into the dvr over WLAN via port 80.

Is this even possible.. if yes, Does anyone have experience with these kind of "Wifi LCD monitors" ?

Do they require a internet browser with ActiveX or is there another way to view the output?

Any ideas would be very welcome

If your DVR has a VGA out on the back you might want to look into a wireless VGA extender. However, something like this is always better wired over Cat5 like a KVM extender. But I have never used wireless and see the price range starts at around $140.

Is there any way to get Cat5 down to the dinning room?

Also, check this out: http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=24645

I'd look at a cheap Android tablet along with the appropriate remote software (DMSS, etc.). I can get a 9" Android-based "e-book reader" for about $130 at a liquidation store - sure it's got a lame CPU and resistive touch-screen (not as sensitive as capacitive, doesn't allow multi-touch, etc.) but if it's just for camera display, none of that matters.

The owner of the house hates cables and he absolutely dont wants any cables in the dining room, he is keen to look at a wireless solution. The tab solution sounds very good! Maybe a wireless VGA extender if he prefers a bigger screen.

Going with a tablet is the easiest. I was oriiginally going to suggest a pc with a wireless card but that gets too 'clunky'. If you can not hide the power wire on the wall (assuming it would be mounted on the wall) you may have to go with wire mold. Ideally a recessed power recepticle, jumped from a nearby outlet, would hide that power wire. But, then again, you are adding more work for yourself.

Yeah, that's the catch with anything "wireless": you still have to get power to it (unless you hook your tablet on the wall, run it on batteries through the day, then take it down and plug it in at night).

Really, the best bet is a regular monitor and just run the wires inside the wall and be done with it.

Oh, and I wouldn't trust 3M tape to hold something like that to the wall - besides reliability and the chance of the thing just dropping off one day, if he ever wants to move the thing, it's going to leave a mess behind.

It's actually kind of frustrating. Max. tablet size I can find is 10''. From the other hand, a big 19'' LCD screen would require running power + BNC/vga cable through the wall. Dilemma.

You still have to get power to a tablet anyway, or it won't run more than a few hours... make life easy and run Cat5e through the wall and use either VGA baluns or HDMI-over-UTP extenders at both ends.

This is the thing: even if you find a cost-effective way to get video wirelessly to the monitor, you still have to power the thing, there's just no way around that. So regardless of what else you do, you still have to pull wiring to that location somehow. Pulling a signal wire along with it shouldn't be any more difficult.