ctbaker

Q: Camera type (analog vs. IP) by location for residence?

Hi,

I am trying to get back into a system setup so I can move forward. I am contemplating a hybrid system using both analog cameras for locations where the distance being recorded is close (i.e. front entry) and IP 2 or 3 MP cameras for locations where the distance being recorded is farther away and/or more broad in extent (i.e. driveway). I am going to add cameras in steps so that I can spread the cost out over time. For the analog cameras I am assuming I'd go with something like the CNB VCM-24VF camera and for the IP again, something like the Dahua ESIPMP3-1 camera. I understand that I'd need a hybrid DVR for this to work.

I took some pictures of a few places around my house that I'd want to install cameras to get opinions on placement and camera type. Should I mix and match cameras in a hybrid system? Is it appropriate to get with the expense of the 2-3MP IP cameras for my use case at a residential location? I do like the extra level of detail you get with those but trying to be strategic with their use so that I don't go crazy with price.

All advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

Chad

Location 1 - Front Entry

Proposed camera: CNB VCM-24VF

Mounting: Ceiling, corner, aimed to get side shot (or any front if possible) of people as they step into the covered area.

Pictures:

188420_1.jpg

188420_2.jpg

Location 2 - Driveway also marked B in last photo

Proposed camera: Dahua ESIPMP3-1

Mounting: ? Not sure since mounting too high will just give views of the tops of heads.

Picture:

188420_3.jpg

Location 3 - Side Gate (near driveway)

Mounting: Wall, aimed directly at the gate to see if anyone goes through or over.

Picture:

188420_4.jpg

Location 4 - Side Gate

Mounting: Wall, aimed directly at the gate to see if anyone goes through or over.

Picture:

188420_5.jpg

Location 5 - Front of House, Shooting out to street marked A

Proposed camera: Dahua ESIPMP3-1

Mounting: ?, Want to generally just view out to the street, walkway area.

Picture:

188420_6.jpg

Sounds like a pretty good plan to start with! I've been testing one of the Dahua MP cams, it's looking pretty good so far on the bench, and I should be putting it out watching the street in the next day or two for a real-world comparison to an IQEye IQ755.

Sounds like a pretty good plan to start with! I've been testing one of the Dahua MP cams, it's looking pretty good so far on the bench, and I should be putting it out watching the street in the next day or two for a real-world comparison to an IQEye IQ755.

Who support Dahua MP cams ?

VMS ?

Protocol ?

Thx

Vigil's motion record works with it - why wouldn't it?

Haven't tried the camera's motion detect - no need to.

One thing to keep in mind when your doing a survey like this and taking pictures.

Your point of view is looking at the camera instead of what the camera would be seeing.

I try to take shots of what the camera will see. Not always easy but it helps.

I took some pictures from the POV of the camera where I could. My camera lens only goes down to 28mm so I am zoomed in more than I would be with the security cameras but I don't have a lens that goes down to ~3mm.

Again, my camera selection and locations look doable based on this additional information?

Thanks!

Chad

Location 1, I couldn't get up in the corner to take a picture that was going to be worthwhile.

Location 2, I took two pictures from the right corner of the house from the view of the original picture. One of the driveway/street and one of the garage door area. It is a low enough spot that anyone could tamper with the camera. I could mount it higher up the eaves and shoot more of the street/driveway but could do that with the ladder I had effectively. You can see the two motion light locations in the original picture.

188446_1.jpg

188446_2.jpg

Location 3, Once I got out there I realized if I pulled back further I could get coverage of garage side door as well as gate. There is a motion light that would be behind the camera location.

188446_3.jpg

Location 4, Where should I mount the camera relative to the motion lights shown in the original post for this location, above them, in front?

188446_4.jpg

Location 5, This is a shot of the front walkway and street from a corner eave location represented as "A" in the original post. The only lighting is from the globes at the street and those turn off an hour after sunset and an hour before sunrise.

188446_5.jpg

I took some pictures from the POV of the camera where I could. My camera lens only goes down to 28mm so I am zoomed in more than I would be with the security cameras but I don't have a lens that goes down to ~3mm.

28mm on the 40D's APS-C sensor will give you about a 51-degree diagonal FOV. That's pretty close to what you'd get out of a 6mm lens on a 1/3" CCTV sensor. The CNB cams go out to 2.8mm, which will give you over 90 degrees diagonal FOV. So your camera is only showing you about 1/4 the area that the CNB is capable of.

BTW, the Dahua cam is a box cam with C/CS lens mount, but also a 1/3" sensor, so for any given focal length, it will show about the same FOV as the CNB.

The Dahua MP cam actually has a 1/2" sensor so keep that in mind. We have some nice 3.8-13mm Fujinon 1/2" 3MP rated auto iris lenses to go with the camera as well if you need them for about $100 which is pretty decent for a name brand MP lens. Highly recommended over the typical 1/3" analog lenses. At certain zoom levels, the 1/3" lenses will cut off edges of the pictures, also noticed that the analog lenses will make the edges blurry as well as having a fish-eye effect on the wide shots. very tempting to put an analog lens on a megapixel camera due to costs, but I have found out that you will be much more satisfied with a MP lens for a MP camera.

If your gonna put a cheap lens on a megapixel camera there is no reason to have a megapixel camera. I would also recommend a megapixel camera with integrated remote/zoom lens like Avigilon. Little more money but fantastic image quality.

Also remember you have to put that camera in a housing before you mount it on your house which isn't gonna look that pleasant. Again Avigilon has a outdoor dome with remote/zoom focus which saves you lots of time on a ladder trying to focus the camera.

I have been installing megapixel systems for 5 years and I would be more the happy to design and quote you a full PLUG AND PLAY Avigilon hybrid system. PM me with any questions.

Here is a image from their 720P dome camera:

184311_1.jpg

Dome cameras are great for alot of applications but cant be used for all applications. But we'll soon have a little 1080p outdoor dome that will be a great camera for home installs. Not as featured as the 3MP cameras we have but perfect for most users. And priced at a price that will knock your socks off, along with some other models as well that wont put a hurtin on the wallet.

What software DO You recommend to use with your Mega pix cams ?

Dome cameras are great for alot of applications but cant be used for all applications. But we'll soon have a little 1080p outdoor dome that will be a great camera for home installs. Not as featured as the 3MP cameras we have but perfect for most users. And priced at a price that will knock your socks off, along with some other models as well that wont put a hurtin on the wallet.

Havent used Avigilon but have heard good things about it from some of the installers on here. Usually financially out of reach for most homeowners though when you consider all costs that is required to get a 100% proper system up and running. Unfortunately there is no way to research the costs of their equipment because they dont allow prices to be put online. But if you see it, like it, and can afford it, I say go for it, just be sure to bring this:

If you don't know the pricing how can you assume this? There is a lot more to IP systems then price. Avigilon is plug and play no IT knowledge needed.

This is what you get with cheap IP cameras:

188461_1.jpg

The Dahua MP cam actually has a 1/2" sensor so keep that in mind.

Hmmm, good to know! I have a 1/3" IQEye 2.5-7mm MP lens on it and I get no "tunnel" effect at all (put one of these on an AV3155 once and the tunnel vision was hideous even at 7mm). Knowing this though, I can swap over the 5MP 4.5-10mm lens I have on the 755 now when I swap it for the Dahua and should get a better comparison.

The Dahua MP cam actually has a 1/2" sensor so keep that in mind.

Hmmm, good to know! I have a 1/3" IQEye 2.5-7mm MP lens on it and I get no "tunnel" effect at all (put one of these on an AV3155 once and the tunnel vision was hideous even at 7mm). Knowing this though, I can swap over the 5MP 4.5-10mm lens I have on the 755 now when I swap it for the Dahua and should get a better comparison.

According to manufacture website camera do not have 1/2 " sensor

1/2.8” 3.0 megapixel SONY progressive scan Exmor CMOS image sensor

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/English/product_info.aspx?type=338&&css=0&&id=4

Good question, I am glad you asked. There are many different ways you can do it.

I have confirmed that it works on the following softwares:

NUUO, Milestone, Vigil, Axxon. I have been told that it works with genetec as well but havent confirmed this myself.

These are the only ones that I have tried or someone else has tried. Havent tried much anything else yet but will be testing as many softwares that I can and will provide an ever updating list as soon as I confirm that they work. I am sure that the manufacturer will continue to offer even more firmware upgrades that will offer even more compatibility with other softwares in the future.

Of course you can also use

#1) Our standalone NVR's and soon to be Standalone Hybrids. Granted these only allow 1080p max rez recording but allows for easy plug and play compatibility with our cameras and you dont have to dedicate a computer to record an IP camera. I would say this is probably the easiest way.

#2) You can record directly to the onboard SD card as well, which basically makes the camera an all in one surveillance system. The maximum SD card size is 32GB which isnt a whole lot of space for a MegaPixel camera but you can always just set the camera to record on motion only. Or better yet, just have one of our NVR's or Hybrids record 1080p regular video and have the camera record motion events at 3MP

#3) You can use PSS, the free CMS software, and use it to record directly to your PC. The cool thing about PSS is that it will also manage our DVR's, and NVR's/Hybrids as well. So this means, if you have bought DVR's from us before, you will be able to see your DVR's as well as the MegaPixel camera all managed from one software. Also, there is no resolution limitation with PSS, you can record full rez 3MP directly to your PC. This option is great for folks who dont want to buy a seperate NVR or software to run their cameras.

I'll have alot more information about these different recording methods and the advantages and disadvantages to each on our website in the upcoming 2 weeks as we continue to write our guides and materials.

If you don't know the pricing how can you assume this?

I am just reiterating a major gripe among other people who have expressed the same concern.

There is a lot more to IP systems then price.

Totally agree. Thats why I said "if you see it, like it, and can afford it, I say go for it" On the flip side, just because its a low price, doesn't always mean its a bad product either. As I have said something similar before, A mercedes has more features than a ford, but a ford can also get the job done.

Your both incorrect. This camera is not 1/2 or 1/3 inch according to the original manufacturers specs.

Thanks Captain Literal. Yes I knew it was a 1/2.8" sensor, its posted on the description on my site. I was just speaking in generalities. Most 1/2" MegaPixel lenses will work just fine with the camera.

Thanks Captain Literal. Yes I knew it was a 1/2.8" sensor, its posted on the description on my site. I was just speaking in generalities. Most 1/2" MegaPixel lenses will work just fine with the camera.

Any pix , video clips ?

I'll have a bunch this week and will continue to add more. I apologize for the lack of information that is currently up on my site right now (we just listed it), but we will continue to add documents and videos for the IP cameras on a continual basis, just like we do our DVR's.

couple still shots would be nice

There's no reason any <1/2" camera shouldn't work just fine with a 1/2" lens.

That is the same philosophy we have too but when dealing with IP cameras your support calls will increase greatly and its good to have a manufacture to back you up when you run into issues.

That is the same philosophy we have too but when dealing with IP cameras your support calls will increase greatly and its good to have a manufacture to back you up when you run into issues.

Half the time I find I know more about the products we use, than their own manufacturers' tech support... or at least, I'm just more adept with technology on the whole than most manufacturers' first-level support techs.