Hey guys,

I know there must be a good solution to this problem but, I'm at a loss

as to how to focus an IP cam. On analog cams I take my portable TV out to the camera and make adjustments on the spot.

My megapixel camera has to go through a network. So, how do the pro's do it?

John

I either use 2 guys or myself or tech at the camera and the customer at the head end. I always like having the customer at the head end because it kills to birds with one stone. Cameras get aimed and the customer approves a the same time.

But we now use cameras that have remote zoom/focus and this is just fantastic. We installed 28 HD/Megapixel cameras, 2 switches, a server with all the patch cables today with 2 guys in 8 hours These cameras also have a analog output to make aiming the cameras even easier.

I also always have a Ruckus access point in my bag so I can walk the building with my laptop if I need/want to.

Netbook FTW. Small, light, incredible battery life, and the LED screen is viewable even in bright sunlight... and, full Windows system so IE-only cameras work with it.

For externally-powered cameras, I just plug it right in with a network cable (got a nifty retractable one in my laptop bag) - the GbE network port is auto-MDI/MDI-X switching, so I don't need to worry about a crossover cable.

For PoE cameras, I carry a Veracity PinPoint. I also carry a WiFi router that I can just plug into the network and access them all while they're fully operational.

+1 on the Veracity tool or something similar. Forgot the brand, but there was one place making a similar device for $20 at ISC West but that may have been the wholesale price.

Axis and ACTi make a tool that has a display on it. Powers the camera, lets you see the display on the screen, but they are not cheap, several hundreds of dollars.

I set varifocal and focus on the ground. I pre-focus the camera by my computer with a 24" LCD and I have the camera aimed at something that's a comperable distance to the subject. The focusing on some cameras is so twitchy and precise, I can't image trying to focus on a ladder with a laptop, the glare of the sun and the worst of all, nosey neighbors asking what you are doing.

OR, you can buy autofocus or remote focus cameras. More and more cameras are coming with this feature. Or you can get camera with glued in lenses, never needs focusing like a Mobotix M12.

I have 3 of those Veracity units and never use them. Takes to much time to dig the cable out of the housing and then you have wait of the camera to power back up.. Remote/zoom focus and/or wireless access point so much easier.

I have 3 of those Veracity units and never use them. Takes to much time to dig the cable out of the housing and then you have wait of the camera to power back up.. Remote/zoom focus and/or wireless access point so much easier.

Provided you have full access to the network.

I set varifocal and focus on the ground. I pre-focus the camera by my computer with a 24" LCD and I have the camera aimed at something that's a comperable distance to the subject. The focusing on some cameras is so twitchy and precise, I can't image trying to focus on a ladder with a laptop, the glare of the sun and the worst of all, nosey neighbors asking what you are doing.

I do the final focus at dusk for 2 reasons. The Iris is wide open and the laptop screen is easy to see.

We build our own networks

We build our own networks

My biggest customer makes us ride his network with a unique VLAN.

So I assume your doing 2 VLANs at the server? yours and theirs?

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. I really do appreciate it.

I didn't even think about the fact I could use my laptop to view the camera.

Thanks again,

John