Sign in to follow this  
k3jls

AVTECH 793 Failure

Hello folks.

I bought an AVTECH 973 about 3 months ago and it worked very well - until yesterday. Briefly, it has a 500 GB hard drive, and when it was working properly you could 'see' - on the upper right corner of the screen - the available hard drive space decrease as more and more memory was used up.

About 1 week ago, I 'cleaned' (erased) the stored contents of the drive and, when the unit booted back up, the screen displayed something like 661 GB of available memory. It seemed to work OK for a while and then began to reboot whenever motion was detected, showing an error code of 400.

The folks from whom I bought the unit (USA Security Store) told me that the problem was most likely a defective hard drive and that they would make good on the warranty, either sending me a new hard drive, or another unit. I'm still waiting for their answer (should be today).

MY question is this. Where is the DVR getting the 661 GB number from? Could the problem be as simple as a software glitch that makes the DVR 'think' that it has more hard drive capacity than it really has? It may be trying to write into a hard drive address that doesn't exist.

If this is the case, is there a way to reset the unit? I don't mind taking it apart.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as we have come to depend on this system to catch both vandals and the people who put dog crap in our trash can.

Thanks - Joe Burch

hi. its hard to say if it could be a H/drive fail with a avtech. other aspects of the avtech software can also give you the same result.

a problem with avtech is its time reliant. i.e if you change the time on the dvr on some units it cant see old footage (this also does the same it cant give H/drive size)

it might be worth you doing a full format on hard drive and see if it helps. if you are under warranty Dont open your unit or try a hard reset. this may give you warranty problems.

Hi Tom - many thanks.

By a reformat, do you mean just an erasure? IF so, I've done this many times.

Joe