hi, so i finally got my Dahua dvr the other day and was messing around with it today and so far i love it. now i just have another question. i need a monitor to display i specific camera. what do you guys recommend? it doesn't have to be HD quality or anything like that because i'm just trying to monitor car traffic so something simple will do the trick.

also, my DVR came with a 2TB HDD but i only have about 1.81TB of usable space even after reformatting. is it normal to loose this much?

thanks again for helping me figure all of this out.

need a monitor to display i specific camera. what do you guys recommend? it doesn't have to be HD quality or anything like that because i'm just trying to monitor car traffic so something simple will do the trick.

I've seen 20" LCD TVs going for $100 or less... the trick is, you need something with an A/V or composite video input.

also, my DVR came with a 2TB HDD but i only have about 1.81TB of usable space even after reformatting. is it normal to loose this much?

Yep... in part because HDD manufacturers' definition of a "terabyte" isn't always the same as the equipment manufacturers' definition.

Thank you. A 15" or so monitor would be fine because I'm trying to take up as little space as possible. Where are you seeing them go for $100?

I know the written memory isn't what's actually available for use but I just thought this much loss was quite a bit. O well still plenty of memory. Thanks

Thank you. A 15" or so monitor would be fine because I'm trying to take up as little space as possible. Where are you seeing them go for $100?

Liquidation-type stores, like this: http://www.shopxscargo.com/product_catalogue/cat_product_details.asp?category_id=6&product_code=31501&sub_category_1_id=22&category=TV

I know the written memory isn't what's actually available for use but I just thought this much loss was quite a bit.

Well technically a terabyte is 1024 * 1024 * 1024 bytes, or 1,073,741,824; 2TB would be 2,147,483,648 bytes. To a manufacturer, 2TB is 2,000,000,000 bytes. Reverse that process and 2,000,000,000 / 1024 / 1024 / 1024 = 1.862645149230957... or rounded off, 1.86TB (you do lose a wee bit to filesystem overhead).

Haha thank you very much for that info. Obviously the dvr has a bnc spot out. What would be the best connection to look for on a monitor? Keeping in mind I would have to use a RG cite right?

At home I have a bnc with a RCA adapter so I can connect it to my tv but I think that is causing problems. I keep seeing lines through the picture like it's refreshing.

also, are most of the items on that site "no name"? it doesn't really bother me but i do want it to last, even if its only $100.

thanks. i see that second one has a antenna connector. would i be able to use that instead of using some type of adapter to make something else?

didn't know compusa was still around haha.