Sign in to follow this  
k3jls

AVTECH AV793 Booting Problems

Hello again folks.

I have an AV793 DVR that is only 3 months old. It came equipped with a 500 GB Hard Drive - it's almost brand new.

I let it accummulate video files until the disk was about half full and then I 'cleared' the disk using the DVR's internal disk erasing system. After I had done this, the DVR seemed to work OK, but the available memory display on the upper right side of the screen began showing more memory than the drive actually contained (e.g. 663 GB instead of 500 GB).

After a week or so, the DVR began to boot whenever it tried to record anything. Right now, it's virtually useless.

I spoke with the vendor (who said they were going to send me a new hard drive), and they gave me the approval and instructions to do a hardware reset. I did this and nothing improved.

Tomcctv had suggested that I reformat the drive to see if this might be the problem. My question is this - can I use some program internal to the DVR to accomplish this, or must the drive be removed and reformatted on a P/C?

Also, I was led to believe that DVR's in general had the capability to reformat brand new drives, as would be the case when either installing a replacement drive or an additional one.

I would appreciate any suggestions - Thanks - Joe Burch