Mr.T

HELP! Client wants video from 5 Axis 1054s stored off site

What a gaggle...Only DSL is available at this location where I installed 10 Axis 1054s + NUUO NVR. client wants off site video storage of 5 cams at continuous record and doesn't like the fact that he paid for 1MP and storage resolution is not IP quality. Any suggestions?

What a gaggle...Only DSL is available at this location where I installed 10 Axis 1054s + NUUO NVR. client wants off site video storage of 5 cams at continuous record and doesn't like the fact that he paid for 1MP and storage resolution is not IP quality. Any suggestions?

Are u saying that NUUO can not record at full resolution ?

Please clarify

Thanks for the quick comeback -- the NUUO is operating fine -- this client (we are in Florida) is worried that in event of hurricane, etc., and store is damaged (again) he would have no video stored; also, he is concerned that the bad guys would rip off the NVR, etc.

Thanks for the quick comeback -- the NUUO is operating fine -- this client (we are in Florida) is worried that in event of hurricane, etc., and store is damaged (again) he would have no video stored; also, he is concerned that the bad guys would rip off the NVR, etc.

Check your PM

So the NUUO is recording fine, he's just upset that he can't record full quality off-site? Sorry, but it doesn't matter how much he spends on cameras or recorders if the connection won't handle the traffic. In fact, with DSL he'd probably have better luck with CIF cameras.

Solution is simple: if he wants to record off-site, he needs a sufficient internet connection.

That's great that he has DSL, because that means that the local phone company has circuits in the area. Ask the local phone company if they can put in a local digital loop to his location to some local ISPs. Then search around for an ISP that can sell you a partial D3 circuit with enough bandwidth to support the transfer. You don't need it to stream all cameras, just copy the events over, so it's a throughput issue, for example, if you can push 10GB in a 24 hour period, but generate 20GB of data, that won't work. The ISP can guide you as the what bridges/switches they will work with.

Then you need to find a disaster recovery site that will host the server to store the recorded video, hopefully outside Florida.

I just hope the customer's wallet is bigger than his ideas

I just hope the customer's wallet is bigger than his ideas

Yep!

We pull video from one city to another but it's a 1gig connection.

That's 1024 Megabits for the Newbies.

New to CCT Forum -- what is PM?

Private Message. At the top-right of the page you should see "1 New Message" - click there.

I'm in Florida too and run into the same concerns - they are very real. What I tell my clients is to get a good alarm system with motion detection that will alert the police when triggered, to test it monthly and to make sure it's cellular based also.

Here's a relevant story - and in this case offsite video storage may have been of no use.

Last month a check cashing store was burglarized (located in the same plaza as a client's business). The burglars cut the communication lines outside before entering the store. Offsite video storage would have been useless at this point, as was the alarm system. Alarm was triggered w/ a siren, but they ripped the siren off the wall. They took the surveillance DVR so no video was available.

My client has an outside analog camera capturing his front door and part of the parking lot, so we were able to establish a timeframe of the burglary (2AM), but that's about it.

After this incident my client asked what he could do to save video if the same thing happened to him. Storing off-site was not an option (DSL with 350K upload), so we installed a second DVR, mounted in the drop ceiling and split the video signal from 4 key cameras. Nobody knows it's there except for me and the store owner.

As far as hurricanes are concerned, well, I think power & communications will be lost before damage is done to the building. We usually have plenty of warning before a hurricane hits, so preparations can be made to swap out the hard drive, or make a backup, if the historical video is so important.

Hope this provides you with some ideas to present to your client.

Another option is cameras with internal recording - several can record to internal SD cards, or there are options like VideoIQ that have internal hard drives. They can take the DVR, but you should have a great recording of the DVR going out the door stored in the camera.