Sign in to follow this  
fatboyelroy

disect dead screen from Sentinel SC21FD3044161 CRT/DVR combo

I have a Sentinel SC21FD3044-161 with a now dead screen. I took it to a repair shop to see how much it would be to get fixed and found it better/ cheaper to get a new one. Me being the penny pinching pack rat that I am would like to salvage it. Would it be feasible to try and remove the dead CRT monitor and put the leftovers in a smaller enclosure as a stand alone DVR?

I successfully removed the dead CRT and discovered that I also have a hard drive issue. I hooked the unit up to an axillary screen and booted it up and the unit kept flashing on/off rapidly. After fiddling around a bit I discovered that if I unplug the hard drive the unit boots up with no problems. Does this mean the hard drive is bad or is the problem more deeply rooted?

Fatboyelroy, it could be a power supply problem. This could also explain your problem with the monitor. The hard drive could draw 10 to 15 watts, which could cause a marginal supply to collapse, but appear to work fine without the drive.

Also, have you completely disconnected the monitor from the Sentinel? So it's no longer being powered by it?

Does the Sentinel have an internal power supply, or does it use a plug pack? It seems these days that capacitors are to blame for most power supply faults. Can you see any of these that are leaking or bulging?

It sounds like you know what you're doing, but please take care around the high voltages anyway (there - that was the generic warning).