Sign in to follow this  
amytx27

Suggestions for 2-story install

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some help. I live alone and recently found that someone has been in my house. I have an idea who it might be. They didn't take anything, that I have found.. but it looks like they just hung out at the house. Smoked cigarettes (which I don't do), drank some gatorade (which I don't drink or keep in the house), moved some stuff around and had lunch at my table. I know it sounds wierd. Imagine how I felt when I got home. I have three large Mastiffs and the only way they would allow someone in the house would be if they know them. I currently have a security system in place but I have a dog door that a person can crawl through. That is why I am sure it is someone I know because a total stranger wouldn't have the balls to come through a door with 3 (200lb) dogs staring at him. I know they didn't come through a door or window cause my alarm had not gone off (and no one knows the code but me.. I just changed it recently, when issues about this person came to light).

With that said, I want to add cameras in the house and outside. I just want a couple of cameras, nothing fancy. I called the place that installed my system (when the house was built) and they want to charge me $2000 dollars! My BF could easily do it if I had a 1-story but we cannot figure out the best way to do it since I have a 2-story.

I would like to hide the wires, which is the one thing I don't like about the wireless cameras.. because I have to plug them into a wall socket which I don't like. I don't have carpet downstairs, I have wood laminate flooring throughout the downstairs. The room I would like to put the cameras in has another living room directly above it and no crawlspace. The upstairs is completely carpeted (if that makes a difference for running wiring? I don't know).

We came across this issue when I wanted surround sound, too. I thought if I could figure out one, I could get both done at the same time. Its very frustrating. I live in the Dallas, TX area if you know anyone that does these types of installs at a reasonable price.. or if you have any suggestions on how we could do this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Amy

What about running the lines through the ceiling and up in to the wall of the 2nd story? It might take a little hole being knocked out of the sheet rock to see where would be the best way to go up unless you have the blue prints of your house.