Sign in to follow this  
ronp

Considering a new DVR - Would like a few Recommendations

I currently have a Q-See QT426 with 10 cameras for home monitoring that works well except for a couple problems that are making me consider getting a new DVR.

Issues that I need “fixed” in a replacement DVR:

1. The QT426 is only 120FPS at D1 recording. With 10 cameras I’d like at least 150FPS and ideally 300FPS.

2. It does not substream D1, only CIF. I do a lot of monitoring over my home network and would like to watch it live in D1.

3. Its IR remote control codes are not unique. Several buttons on my Sanyo LCD TV remote (volume down!) and my Grace Internet Radio remote perform various functions on the DVR. This is a pain because I have whole-home IR repeaters and all the equipment is in a media closet. When I switch the TV to the DVR input the DVR is in some random menu and I have to cancel out several levels to get to a camera picture.

Features I like and must continue to have:

1. Motion detection masking. It’s very configurable, down to a single small block, which areas detect and don’t detect motion and trigger recording.

2. Alarm sensor inputs. I use two inputs for an exterior motion PIR sensor and a vehicle sensor.

3. Scheduling of motion and alarm sensor detection. I can schedule when these inputs are active at 15 minute intervals. For example, I enable the car detector input 24x7 except for the hour window when the newspaper is delivered and I disable the PIR sensor at night so the fox and bear don’t set it off.

4. Scheduling of the alarm output. As with the motion and alarm I can disable the alarm output (in my case a loud beeper in the bedroom) between 5:30am and 7:30am so my wife can sleep.

5. Internet access through local IP and remotely through dyndns.

6. Emailing snapshots when the alarm inputs are triggered.

Any recommendations for a new DVR that has the features I like in my current one and adds the features I want ?

If you can point me to an online user’s manual, that would be great, so I could look at the menus and options.