northwales69

Long range wifi for DVR

First let me say Hi, new here.

Just read one thread about about using a netgear universal wi-fi adapter to convert the dvr into wifi.

I am looking to do something similar but it need's to cover 500 meters at least. Got 2 properties about 500 meters apart, no phone connection at the property i want to have a cctv system installed at (8 channel with 6 cameras).

So dilemma is, want to be able to view the cctv coverage at the other property. Was thinking of a high powered wireless modem router (500mw to 1000mw output, or booster), have a yagi or parabolic dish on outside. This is where the wi-fi adapter comes into it by plugged into DVR, but would like another external aerial on the property with the DVR. (point to point access).

Or is there an easier option.

Any help is appreciated.

If you have clear line of sight. I have had great luck with Ubiquiti NSM5's in bridge mode. Just like having a wire between the two points. With the AirOS software You can check that you have just the right aim and signal between stations plus monitor/control almost everything else. And at a great price IMHO

Wireless is not your only option. You can install two independent systems, one at each property, and view then on a PC over the internet combining the two into a single interface using Central Management Software CMS.

Most DVRs come with CMS free of charge. You don't need a telephone to have internet here in the UK, cable companies offer broadband.

The important thing is that both properties should have an internet connection with a 500 KB or better 1 MB UPLOAD speed.

Download speed is not so important.

Much more reliable than using radio transmission which is at best unreliable unless you buy the top quality stuff and even then its not 100% reliable as radio waves can be affected by so many things.

chees for the quick replies, unfortunately it has to be to a wireless point to point, live in a rural part of wales. Be amazing if I did have cable or phone line, would solve all the problems.

The Ubiquiti NSM5 looks interesting, if i can get that range from it, then maybe another option could be IP cams instead of a dedicated DVR.